Installing a sump

How deep and what kind of sand? Could be a nitrate factor if to shallow and could take months for the deep sand bed? Has anyone tell you about my wonderful creation the "denitrater"? Its been years since i made one but boy did it work!!!!!

Steffen Sparks

I would add sand to it. I would go as deep as you can go. Preferably 5"+. you can get inert sand and seed it with some of you sand from DT.

How deep and what kind of sand? Could be a nitrate factor if to shallow and could take months for the deep sand bed? Has anyone tell you about my wonderful creation the "denitrater"? Its been years since i made one but boy did it work!!!!!

Steffen Sparks
Yes if you do it go deep. I put about two inches in my other tanks sump and I felt it caused or created a cyano breading factory. Really never could get rid of it. I think I would try Steffens "denitrater" first. :)

I ran socks and used the sand in the old system but in the new system I'm just siphoning it out. Just too much work cleaning those socks!

Jay

I run socks right now and change them out every two days, my refugium height is only 8 inches so a sandbed wouldnt work so Ill just keep trying the biopellets, and cheato until I get with Steffen on the denitrator. I looked some up and it looks lite a normal reactor could be modified to work like the denitrator.

Back