Instant Ocean buckets of salt prices going up

jmccown

I stopped in the other day and picked up a bucket of salt from Barry, which is always where I've bought it from in my long SW tenure of 3 years. I was surprised to see that he had raised his price significantly on the buckets and he said he expected another couple dollars price increase within the next couple months. Not knocking my old pal in Nitro, but it just isn't feasible to me to drive up there to get salt anymore ( I'm 1.5 hrs each way). I'm going to look into DFS shipped directly to my house. Has anyone ever done this? They have a 9.99 delivery fee on salt and I don't think there is a limit on how many you can order and get combined shipping at the same rate.

Jim
Petsmart was shipping for free a couple weeks ago might want to check them out.
I'm in the same prediciment don't feel bad. I usually stock up enough to keep me going for a few months, then make a trip to Columbus and take the wife out shopping and pick it up then.

I really don't understand why locally we see salt prices in the 60-70 dollar range for a bucket.
I would love to buy from friends close buy as it supports them also, but can't seem to fork over that kinda money :(

In my last order of RC salt from Drs. F&S, when it arrived I was surprised to see that they even had a free t-shirt inside.
It was nice also. They dont advertise that it is included, but it is.
They also run it on sale twice a year for $31.99 for the 5 gal.
It is on sale now. It's almost like two for the price of one locally and I dont have to pick it up and carry it home.
I just cant feel bad about that.
Normally, I buy exclusively from JM's.

It's cheaper to buy online because big online companies have massive direct stocks, mom and pop shops deal with distributors who control prices, within the past year I have seen fuel charges being added to our bills and prices raising across the board. However that said I'm not sure about your statement, really if the salt came from the usual source it should have been no more than $10 extra? Still far below typical Local pricing. Remember LFS can not compete with the internet it's far to big to take on and F&S? Forget about it, that's like competing against Walmart LOL. I will have to look into this a bit further however and see what happened.
Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Just to clear this up for everyone else, so we can move on.

Situation resolved.

Prices were not "increased" on the 160 Gal buckets. You were just getting sale prices. When the sale is over prices revert back to the same as DrF&S+shipping, which they have been for at least 4 years unless on sale. 55 gal Bags prices did increase by $2 this year. Barry said he expected prices would increase not that they "would be increasing". I too expect price increases but not just at your LFS, everyone will see a price increase on just about anything until we see a stable economy, what ever that is.

Any further questions feel free to contact me :)

Last edited:
Last week there was a petco near me going out of business and i got buckets of IO for 12$. I bought all they had. Just thought i'd rub it in :D

Also if you order from drsfostersmith i think this coupon code will still work for 10$ off a 100$ purchase if you havent used it before.
365/8565

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11676986#post11676986 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by firefish2020
Prices were not "increased" on the 160 Gal buckets. You were just getting sale prices. When the sale is over prices revert back to the same as DrF&S+shipping, which they have been for at least 4 years unless on sale.
Not true Ron...4 years ago IO still came in 200 Gal buckets :lol:
Still can't beat local salt for ~$42.00. Wish I could take advantage if it more often.
Last week there was a petco near me going out of business and i got buckets of IO for 12$. I bought all they had. Just thought i'd rub it in
Kinda makes up for not having bulkheads locally. btw I trust you had a good weekend. ;)

Ooops Let me clarify that a bit Amy, I meant to say "Our" Prices were not increased. Yeh that 200 gal bucket to 160 gal was crap IMO. Maybe you will win a bucket or two next swap if all goes well. Either way Matt wins!

i always order reef crystals from f and s. I order 4 or 5 buckets whem its on sale for 31.99 on 5 buckets shipping is just 13.99 can't beat that

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11678012#post11678012 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jmccown
Dang, did you move Matt? I see TX in your location.

Yea I moved about 5 months ago.

Amy: yea that bulkhead got me and yes i did have a great weekend remember i bought buckets of salt, powerheads and other random stuff dirt cheap. Oh yea i did get to visit with my wife :D

Personally I see nothing wrong with an LFS charging way above internet prices, especially for dry goods that take up so much floor space in a shop. Yes this is the age of the internet and everyone should be using it, and when you dont use it and run out of something like salt you are real happy your LFS has bothered to stock it at all. No matter what price, within reason. Stock is what makes a great LFS.
No one enters an LFS expecting internet prices.
We all now when a shop is within reason, all though within reason is a matter of opinion. $60+ for salt is not within reason, but if I were out of salt I'd pay it. Once not twice. This is why I use the internet.
Yes, I use the internet to shop but I also still consider myself a big supporter of my favorite LFS. Support from customers can come in many ways.

Nothing PO's me more that to get snubbed by a shop owner when they here I've purchased something from the internet.

Nothing PO's a LFS owner more than when a customer comes in for advice and then purchases it online.

"Nothing PO's a LFS owner more than when a customer comes in for advice and then purchases it online."

Yep happens all the time but usually because I send them to get it on line LOL like the new Reef Keeper Elite for example. We don't carny it but it looks good so I send people to them. A good LFS tells you the truth about what you need if they have it or not, a bad one could care less and thats my honest opinion on it.

Has anyone ever heard of "overhead" rent, electric, water, employees, the plus of having it when you need it. I feel like my prices are very fair, or as fair as I can possibly be and still feed my family. F/S is prolly making just a few bucks per bucket, I can't/won't operate that way, I give so much "free" advice to make up for the cost difference IMO. Not being a jerk, its just that most people don't understand.

Back