Instant Ocean Protein Skimmer

psness

I've seen varying reviews online about this skimmer, but am interested in feedback from this forum. Background - I have a 29 gallon fish and invert tank with a Penguin 375 that includes additional filter media (Fluval Bio-Maxx, Eheim Mech, purigen and chemi-pure). This is a 2-month old set up with half of the set-up water coming from an old tank. I switched from an Eheim cannister filter that I used for years as a hose blew during install and freaked me out since we have new plank flooring. Having trouble getting phosphates down and keeping nitrates below 40 even after switching to distilled water (tap water alone has 20) with 4-gallon changes every week. I have some green algae that I basically control by cleaning glass and turning the light off for a day once in a while. I also got some turbo snails and recently ordered some macro algae.

I read someone with an Instant Ocean skimmer had a leak, which is one concern and I heard they're tough to tune. Potential for noise doesn't bother me. Does it measurably keep down nitrates and phosphate? Would it be worth it to set up this skimmer?

Thanks

IMO....The Seaclone is a good skimmer, (just misunderstood...LOL) for a smaller tank (and would be great for yours). It was my first skimmer also.
What ever adjustments you make, do it slowly for the skimmer....and the coke bottle mod is good also. It would help in controlling your nitrates...but so would controlling the source of teh nitrates help also.

OP......If noise isn't an issue, I have a Remora Pro HOB (no pump) I can give you for free if you want....just pay S&H....LMK if you want it.

Back