Instant Ocean/Reef Crystals

Skim

OK so I have been having some problems with my IO for a while now and a friend of my just said he is having issues with his RC for a while now, we are both getting high Alk. and High Cal. never tested anything else but he is get 13 dkh and Cal 480. I was using regular IO and my last batch made was Akl 14 dkh and Cal was 495 this was with Salifert kits. So I said I had enough of to the Store. I walk in and ask what salt do you have he says, IO/RC and Kent and my head dropped then he says oh ya and Aquavitro, I said give me a Bucket and I told him why and he says to me as he is pulling the bucket out, " well you know as of the end of 2014 and start off 2015 all IO/RC salt is made in China, I said what, he repeats, I said no sorry I just can't believe what I just heard. He says, oh ya I am sure we will be seeing a lot more complaints because as the stocking and making and when it changed over we should be just hitting the peak. I had my doubts so when I got home I did some research and this is what I found. Sorry but I don't know why the images would not paste.

Instant Ocean Synthetic Sea Salt
Min. Order: 1 Ton
Weifang Banghua Chemical Co., Ltd.
Shandong, China
Contact Supplier Leave a message.
 Add to Inquiry Basket

 Enlarge Image
Min. order: 1 Ton
Payment Terms: T/T
 Contact Now Leave a message.
Add to Inquiry Basket
Like this product? Add to Product Favorites Share|
Product Detail
Product Description
Instant Ocean synthetic sea salt Ocean Aquarium Salt simulates natural seawater for thriving marine aquariums. Developed through sophisticated biological and chemical testing, Instant Ocean provides your marine fish, invertebrates, and plants the necessary major, minor, and trace elements. Provides a clear saltwater solution in minutes and reaches proper pH quickly. Exceptional solubility, uniform particle size, and superior material selection made Instant Ocean the standard by which other synthetic sea salts are measured. No other product has such an extensive history of successful proven usage.
 Contact Now Leave a message.

http://www.made-in-china.com/showro...O/China-Instant-Ocean-Synthetic-Sea-Salt.html

Not that it says on the Boxes or Pails.
So if you are having problems or maybe you're not yet, I just thought this maybe of some interest.:angryfire:

I'm not sure what you are trying to say. Because it is made in China it's not going to be as good a product? Probably the best designed and functioning product I use on a day to day basic, my iphone, is made in China. Most of the stuff we use today is made in China. They are designed, developed and tested elsewhere but assembled in China and sometimes its not because labor is cheaper.

I'm also not sure what that link proves. I don't think Instant Ocean would allow you to order their products like that.

If you are getting parameters that off, I would mix the salt in the bucket a bit, I've heard it can separate into different layers during shipping.

i'm sure the company will send the quality control inspectors over there. i'm also using the red sea coral pro salt that is made in china because that's all i could find. not problem yet so far and the parameters are at they should be.

Well I look at just some of the post here on RC about IO/RC in just the last year you will see that there others reporting about problems with strange numbers, as per rolling the bucket that is a standard and I like the bags so I would shake and flip and pour some in into a bucket and mix with the cup and add more and mix and ect. Yes I know why they did it but hey what is a few more people out of work, and it was hard enough for them to keep the batches under control where it was do you know how hard it is to do quality control on the other side of the world. the other thing is we're not talking about Cell phones or TV's or Speakers this is something that is being mixed with water to support life where an ooops can have some very negative result. I have seen so many post where it says don't buy that cheap Chinese skimmer they garbage or pumps or lights but SALT is OK. Would you buy fish food that was made in China. I know I would not, I buy NorthFin or NLS or Omega. It would be nice if they put it on their packaging Made in China. I think there maybe a reason they don't. You're right, this has nothing to do with Values or their dedication to their loyal customers its about keeping the Shareholders happy and the Big guy in his Mercedes and paying for the new Keal on his Yacht.
Bottom line if you're OK with it then fine but I do not believe that the salt is the same or will be same and I will no longer buy this Salt. The reason I posted it was I did not this and thought others may be interested in the information also.

"Cheap" is the key word here. If you buy cheap you get lower quality, no matter where it is made.

I, personally, switched to Tropic Marin on this build because I was tired of issues relating to alk stability. However, I don't blame it on the salt per se, rather, my water change method (which I also changed).

Mine test out pretty consistently in a 20g brute. 9dkh and 450ca.

It's been so consistent that I quit testing it.

"Cheap" is the key word here. If you buy cheap you get lower quality, no matter where it is made.

Price normally do not reflects quality.
For many stuffs in this hobby, manufacture cost does not dictate retail price.

I, personally, switched to Tropic Marin on this build because I was tired of issues relating to alk stability. However, I don't blame it on the salt per se, rather, my water change method (which I also changed).

IO is by far the cheapest available and most public aquariums use the stuff. Unless your doing 100% water changes I don't see why high alk or high or low calcium would make any difference. For the $25 per box I just paid for IO there is no way I will be switching salts

IO is by far the cheapest available and most public aquariums use the stuff. Unless your doing 100% water changes I don't see why high alk or high or low calcium would make any difference. For the $25 per box I just paid for IO there is no way I will be switching salts

I would like to think their quality control is much higher than other salt brands simply because of the liability on the big public aquariums

Just was sent this, so who know's now. It still does not explain the numbers that many have and myself have be getting. The following is from Facebook.

Mark Peltier
Today at 3:27pm
Where is Instant ocean salt manufactured?
2 CommentsLike · Comment
Chronological
Comments
Instant Ocean
Instant Ocean Hi, Mark. Instant Ocean is manufactured in Blacksburg, VA.
Like · Reply · 2 hours ago
Mark Peltier
Mark Peltier Thank you for the follow up. Some friends found some ads online of bulk 'instant Ocean' from over seas that was sold in canvas type bags like a zoo would purchase. I just thought I would clarify that it was not manufactured there

there's another company that makes "instant ocean" and "reef crystals" salts. i think it's called "aquarium systems". i think the company is based in europe and i don't know if they make their products in china or not.

Back