Introducing Tangs for the first time

HChellette

I have chosen the Tangs that I want to put in my tank, but I am confused on what order to add them. I have been told by many people that you should always add Tangs at the same time. However, I have also been told by many other people that you don't have to do that, you can add them one at a time, least aggressive first. Their reasoning is that, if you have an established tank and a Tang dies, you will have to add one, not at the same time, if you wish to replace it.

The three Tangs are a Blue Hippo, Sailfin and a Sohal. Can someone give me some insight on the best way to introduce these fish to my tank with the least amount of stress possible?

BTW, I've read many posts that get completely off topic when it comes to Tangs and tank size. I have chosen these three fish, and intend on getting these three fish. While I appreciate everyone's opinion on Tangs, I have already made the fish choice. What I need help with is proper placement, so please do not turn this thread into a discussion on the inability to keep these three Tangs in my tank. :) Thank you!

IT would be best to add them at the same time.But still no garauntee. It would only help them fight less.Lights out a few days and sometime moving some rock around helps.
You do want to add the least aggressive to the most for best chance.
With so many fish to chose form you sure did settle on the most basic.Thats fine but these 3 being so large wouold take a large load and may max you out or atleast some close.

Wow, you really think that those three are basic? I though they were some of the most beautiful. What others do you think are more interesting?

to do it right I would purchase each separately and quarantine them for four weeks
Tangs get ich very easily esp when stressed

The qt will help with the stress and they are able to be treated if ich breaks out
Trying to catch a tang in the DT tank would be quite a task

The poor blue will be tank bread to no charastics at all after one certain movie.Just keep swiiming.:)

Yeah, I know it's a little lame, but I'm a huge Disney fan and I have always wanted a Nemo and a Dory. I just hope my Dory can remember longer periods of time or she'll be "re-introduced" constantly! :lol:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12201740#post12201740 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by HChellette
BLKTANG, are you saying one at the time or all three at once in that order?

Right i agree with what capn said,buy the hippo QT him then in the tank,then the sailfin QT,tank,& last the Sohal QT then the tank.

Probably, but they still have a lot of personality and are one of my favorites. The have "hosted" my thermometor wiring, or at least it appears that way. They are constantly playing with it and moving it around and they actually sleep under it every night. Poor retarded little fish, I love them anyway!

Ok, that makes sense, BLKTANG and capn_hylinur. How long would you suggest I wait in between fish? I am in no hurry, just want to make sure I do it in a way to cause the least amount of stress.

Its alright.Its what makes the world go round. Just keep one thing in mind,most of these fish are caught in the ocean and bought by you and the least we can do is give them the best chance possible. This is my biggest concern about the fish issue. Many ask why after the fact and this fish deserves better then that. Its only one mans opinon though.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12201887#post12201887 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by HChellette
Ok, that makes sense, BLKTANG and capn_hylinur. How long would you suggest I wait in between fish? I am in no hurry, just want to make sure I do it in a way to cause the least amount of stress.

I will qt a perfectly new fish for 2 weeks as long as he shown no
signs of ick.

12 weeks for a fish with ick.

I'm still new and learning about QT, so forgive me for asking what may seem like a stupid question. If stress comes from being moved, changing environments, etc. wouldn't taking the fish out of the QT and introducing it to the DT cause stress also and be a chance of ich? I guess what I'm asking is, what is the reason for QT? Is it to make sure that the fish you have is already healthy and doesn't develop any unforeseen problems or is it to "catch" any outbreaks in a controlled environment instead of the DT?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12201999#post12201999 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by HChellette
I'm still new and learning about QT, so forgive me for asking what may seem like a stupid question. If stress comes from being moved, changing environments, etc. wouldn't taking the fish out of the QT and introducing it to the DT cause stress also and be a chance of ich? I guess what I'm asking is, what is the reason for QT? Is it to make sure that the fish you have is already healthy and doesn't develop any unforeseen problems or is it to "catch" any outbreaks in a controlled environment instead of the DT?

Yes that is why.

Back