Introductions thread

Welcome Kevin to our little group of Reef and Salt madness. Be sure to stop by the Mug shot & screen name thread so we all can get to know you by sight and say "HI" if we see you in the LFS's

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10630936#post10630936 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by murfman
Welcome to SCMAS, Kevin! Glad to see a reefer from up the pass!
Bravo Murf, love the avatar.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10548423#post10548423 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Caleb Kruse
I like that starfish! How long have you had it, and what does it eat?

I think I've had the star fish for about 5 months now. it's a Fromia monilis I believe. From what I understand they are generally omnivorous. They eat anything including sponges, detritus, film algae, sessile invertebrates, to meaty foods such as bits of clam, shrimp, krill, etc. He's a self sufficient little guy and he just moves around the tank eating whatever. I tried a second one, but I lost him. This one keeps on powering away though!

Hi to all at scms
Name: Lane
Tanks and sizes: 2 55gal fw planted tanks
Where you live Pueblo
Years in the hobby: fw most of my life new to sw reefs
Specific interests: building custom aquatic systems
Greatest accomplishment in reefkeeping: none yet but im building one as we speak
Greatest disapointment in reefkeeping: none , i look forward to the challange
Pictures of tanks go to my gallery

Hi Lane and welcome to SCMAS. Tell us more about your new SW project. You do some very nice work and very detail oriented, but what would you expect from a PM guy!!!!

Welcome to Scmas Lane. My name is Todd and I am also from Pueblo, and also the SCMAS president. Hopefully we will see you at the next meeting which should be awsome since it is at Chris's(Reefkoi) house. He has a 600 gal reef that is not short of awsome. We like to carpool up there if we get a chance so shoot me a pm and we can exchange numbers.

Welcome Lane to our little group of Salty Reefer madness. Be sure to stop by the Mug shot & screen name thread so we all can get to know you by sight and say "HI" if we see you in the LFS's

You Puebloans are going to need you own chapter down there soon! How did you find out about us Lane?
Chris

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10662128#post10662128 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefkoi
You Puebloans are going to need you own chapter down there soon!
Chris

Yeaahh Buddy....:cool:

murfman, racer69, Huhhhhh and all at scmas, Wow thanks for the big welcome!
New system will be another 55 gal cube tank like my other systems. they are easy to build, move, assemble, and get started.
looking at 8ea 24" t5 lights in canopy “mostly for heat issues”
custom made sump with as big a skimmer as will fit.
return pump will be about a 1500gph model and 500 gph model for a small closed loop will take care of water turn over.
media reactors for po4 removal and carbon. and a ph controlled calcium reactor with co2 injection.
that covers most of the equipment. just hope i can fit all of it in the cabinet.
I want to grow mostly sps or lps corals not many types just a couple of big ones. fish and inverts will be no more then a cleaning crew.
This system will be designed and constructed by me including all the acrylic work. so I expect it to take a while to complete this design build.
I’m looking forward to all the input I can get from the scmas group and rc on this project as I am new to this type of aquarium.
That being said I’m very confident about the outcome of this project for that reason alone. The information on this site is somewhat overwhelming but very complete with lots of opinions, styles and methods and of course pictures.

Todd thanks for invite to next meeting I will pm you with info!
Again thanks for the big welcome!

Lane you may want to talk with our club plastic expert calvin415 if you have any questions about building the tank. He has built many tanks for our members and has a lot of great ideas.

Your plan sounds pretty solid to me. You might want to think about a Pinpoint salinity meter and a ATO setup. Those are two of the things I've done recently that I wished I would have done years ago.

Will at Premier up in Denver has a reef tank running on eight T-5 bulbs and it is one of the brightest most colorful tank I've ever seen. He's using 3 or 4 different spectrums I think. I'd highly suggest taking a trip to see that setup.

Mountaindew, Your Freshwater tank looks AMAZING. It's definitely one of the best freshwater tanks I've seen.

And Welcome to the SCMAS!

Mountaindew, welcome to the club!
Your FW tank is crazy nice! I love how bright green the floor of it is!
I second Tims suggestion of going up to www.premierfishreef.com
in Denver, They have an awesome T-5 reef display tank in fact it is pictured on the home page I linked here. They have a really nice FW planted tank display.

Chris

huhh, im going to add ato and meters to check different tank parameters. but was to lazy to type everything :). just about done with cabinet and canopy, and going to start work on tank soon.

caleb kruse, and reefkio thanks for the complement! planted fw tanks do look nice. they can be a lot of work at times! you have to trim and thin plants or they will grow until they fill the tank. i toss out a bucket of live plants every couple weeks.
that’s why I am building a reef tank, as i understand it they grow slow he he! just kidding i want the challenge and to learn more

also thanks for the links! premierfishreef looks like a great place to visit.

Welcome to SCMAS mountaindew and where's my Mountain Dew drink?? :p

Would you mind coming over and look at my 55g. I am still not happy with how I've aquascaped it. I love that tank so much and I know it can be better!! :)

Name: Mark
Tanks and sizes: 120 gallons
Where you live: Colorado Springs
Years in the hobby: New guy
Greatest accomplishment in reefkeeping: Everything is living and growing.
Greatest disapointment in reefkeeping: Need a larger house for a larger tank. What else?

My name is Mark and Scott at Exotic Tropicals said this was the place to be. I put water into the system in July so my tank is brand new. I'm using T5's for my lighting, utilizing a sump, fuge and skimmer underneath to help keep everything clean. I built the canopy and stand, wired the lights, plumbed the system and nothing has blown up yet.

Corals in the tank right now include torch, anchor, mushrooms, open brain, closed brain, zoanthids, duncans and pulsing xenia. The fish that are swimming around right now include a scott's fairy wrasse, flame angel, two clowns, diamond watchmen goby and a small yellow goby. Last fish on my list to get is a purple tang. Various snails, hermit crabs and two emerald crabs are running around.

I look forward to everyone's feedback and guidance.

Here's a shot of the tank:

IMG_0842-1.jpg

Back