Inwall 125 tank build

ncox38

I finished the stand/ wall last night, looks good and is level & square. Should I paint all of the studs and plywood before i hang drywall (moisture resistant)? Is warping going to be a issue? Total system will be about 150-160 gallons.

146712SMALL.jpg

The basement is a mess but it is in the middle of a complete remodel. I have a 3/4" piece of rigid insulation that will go in between the tank and stand, i was just making sure the holes for the plumbing lined up in this photo. The thing is completely over-structured but it was only $ 3 more to do it out of 2x6's vs. 2x4's. I didn't care for my structures courses in college so i wasnt even going to bother doing the calcs on it. Im pretty sure i could park a truck on it though.

Are you going to drywall both sides? If so I would just say use green board and call it good. If you're leaving one side open it may help in the long run to paint it but I'd drywall the one side and then just paint the entire back with a moisture/mildew resistant kitchen and bath semi-gloss.

Is that going to be a fish room behind the tank? Looks like a nice set up so far. Take your time and get it how you want it, it's worth
it to do it right now.

I was going to put GB on the back, its up to 11.50 a sheet. It was $5 before Katrina. I'll just paint it, thanks.

Yes, its going to be a fish room. There is a drain and supply from the kitchen above just to the left of the compressor in the photo. I am going to run the plumbing this weekend. Only thing that sucks is no floor drain, and im not cutting one in, i have dine that before and its no fun. there is already 15 amp circuit running through the room to the garage for a pool that is no longer there, so im just going to pull that back inside.

There's a weird optical illusion in your picture. Your tank looks 2 inches thick. :)

I don't know your current plans. However, while you're still in the building stage, I thought I would bring it up. It is nice to have some form of access to the front of the tank from the display side. There's a whole lot of ways to decoratively hide it. I diidn't have any front access on my 75g and whenever I had to aquascape, move a snail that fell upside down, move a coral, etc. it was very challenging because I had to estimate where it was in the tank from the front, then go into the fish room and hope my estimate was close.

I thought about accessing it from the front and all i came up with was cabinet faces. I spaced all the stud work to accommodate false cabinet faces, in case i decide to do it in the future. I tend to have expensive taste when it comes to wood working and i usually build in cherry. cant afford that right now. i was thinking i could use my video camera on a tripod and throw the cable over the wall to a 19" tv i have laying around, for now.

What are your thoughts for cheaper ways to hide it?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9241855#post9241855 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ncox38
i was thinking i could use my video camera on a tripod and throw the cable over the wall to a 19" tv i have laying around, for now.

I can't believe that I never thought about borrowing a video camera.

(insert Homer Simpson DOH smilie here)

Looks like it will be a great setup!! Congrats and keep us posted.

:thumbsup:

Here is how I had mine setup before I moved..

for the first part of the setup it would have been nice to have doors on the front but after the Main rock was in the tank I was very happy I didn't have doors on the front. A friend in the front with me in the back work really well IMO

10122march_06_-_017.JPG

I would also find a way to close of the Ceiling so the humidity does not travel through the floor joist. It will warp and destroy your floor over time.

Nice, i really like that frame. I might do that, instead of cherry. How much LR is that? i dont really have an idea of how much i am going to want to use.

That was a 240 Gal, with about 280 lbs of live rock 200 lbs base rock and 80 lbs live rock

If I was you I start with about 125lbs give or take a few lbs in the main tank.. I had another 40-60 lbs in my Fuge. So the tank didn't look so full.

I have more pics I can send Via E-mail if you want them pm your E-mail addy.

I finally finished the fish room tonight!! A few cleaning issues tomorrow and i will post a new pic. I was hoping to have it done last night, but i left my PVC cement at my parents last weekend. I got the RO unit trickling up a storm... hopefully the first 55 gallons will be done around lunch tomorrow and i can get some saltwater mixing. I was hoping to get some live rock at the sale this weekend. Still have to get some tank plumbing done though.

yup, you sold it to me! The day after the frag swap i was in there to order it, a week later i picked it up.

As for pictures, no work was done tonight. I went shopping instead. I got some new slip bulkheads and pvc to plumb the thing,

I hit a setback with the RO water, it tasted like baby sanitizer (what came in the drums). I had to dump the batch. now im not sure if im going to have water ready to buy LR on sunday at the sale :(. I mixed a gallon of muriatic acid in with the 55 gallons of water now i need to let it sit for a few days. The only way i can see to get this going is to go buy some clean trash cans and fill them up while the drums are being cleaned. then im stuck with 2 55 gallon drums and 2 trash cans....

It wasnt the lack of planning that screwed me, theres not enough time in the day to get stuff done...

Bummer on the baby sanitizer!!

The tank looks great so far!! Keep up the good work.:)

Back