Is it cheaper to build your own rimless aquarium? Are they as strong / durable?

I'm looking to build a rimless aquarium with low iron glass that is about 31" long X 16" deep and 13" tall.

Any guess on glass price for this cut? Silicone cost? Other cost?

If I'm careful, will the build be as strong as a purchased tank?

Would it be safe and cheaper to buy a larger used aquarium and have it cut to the correct sizes?

Last edited:
I'm looking to build a rimless aquarium with low iron glass that is about 31" long X 16" deep and 13" tall.

Any guess on glass price for this cut? Silicone cost? Other cost?

If I'm careful, will the build be as strong as a purchased tank?

Would it be safe and cheaper to buy a larger used aquarium and have it cut to the correct sizes?
That is not a huge aquarium so certainly could be DIY but that could also mean just getting it made won't be so bad. One straight path to some answers might be to talk to @Joe Glasscages for some advice. Get a quote from him while your at it.

Yeah...pretty cool....more importantly (at least for me) the build method is a good visual.
Yes, it’s a great video, and you could certainly use the same method for larger projects. I’d probably go with some eurobracing strips around the top edge on anything larger

This video is GREAT!

This guy uses Ikea shelves that are tempered. My understanding is the tempered glass should NOT be used on aquariums because if a rock falls against it or something it will break. Is this accurate?

Where's a good place to buy NOT tempered glass?

--Doug

A little trick for bigger builds and heavier glass, is to fill some big plastic bottles (like big softish 4 litre sauce bottles) with water. You can place them each side of the glass, pressing against each side to hold it vertical while building the tank - use 4 for a long piece, 2 inside the tank, sitting on the bottom plate, and 2 outside opposite each inside bottle. The soft plastic allows control over the pressure being applied

This video is GREAT!

This guy uses Ikea shelves that are tempered. My understanding is the tempered glass should NOT be used on aquariums because if a rock falls against it or something it will break. Is this accurate?

Where's a good place to buy NOT tempered glass?

--Doug
Actually, most tank manufacturers use tempered glass for the bottom pane. Some even use it for the sides, front and back. That’s why we always advised people who want to drill a tank to make sure the pane they’re going to drill isn’t tempered. Trying to drill tempered glass results in tiny pieces of glass everywhere😉

If I used tempered on bottom and 3 sides, are there any issues with assembly and siliconing if the drilled back piece is un-tempered and the rest are tempered?

Back