is it just me...

Yeah I think you're right.

BTW, do you need any Xenia?

I also have some powerheads to get rid of.

And, I'm getting out of the hobby, so I have a 120g w/stand and canopy and all livestock and equipment FS.

:) Josh

i have some XM bulbs for sale...
spam4.gif

Re: is it just me...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6826667#post6826667 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gemini aquarius(t)
it seems like its about 90% all sale and wanted ads in this forum

or is it just me

This is one of our challenges folks. You may not be aware of it, but this So Cal forum is one of a tiny handful of non-club forums. Virtually every other local forum we have here has an actual chartered club beneath it which naturally lends itself to some non-selling discussions, meetings, club events..etc.

Just some commentary from our perspective.

All good points, which is why all of us who frequent this forum should take it upon ourselves to keep things on track.

Just an idea of a way to protect this forum... I recently posted some things I wanted to sell, but instead of posting directly on the SoCal forum I placed it on the Equipment For Sale Forum. Then I mentioned my thread on the SoCal forum with the intent of directing locals to where selling is more appropriate.

I for one frequent the SoCal forum more than the others, so I don't mind getting the heads up about local items for sale. However once I know about that item I think all discussions belong back over on the Sale forums. This is JMO and I strongly believe this local forum is worth preserving, even if it means kicking all threads out that don't relate to local reefing. I just hope the fact that we all have a common reef interest and live in Southern California can be enough to keep this forum open.

I see no problem in selling items in the So Cal forum that are probably not possible to ship..But I guess all the knick knacks are a bit crazy....But hey we get 1st dibs on em anyway and save money.

Sam

I agree, I like getting first dibs on local corals & stuff, the WTB things are a little annoying...

BTW, ReefCycler.com is mine now :)

You're missing the point I was trying to make though.

Reef Centrals purpose is not to be a giant selling forum. We are primarily an informational board. The selling forums were added later as a bonus (and also much of our pain). We then started to provide forums to local clubs to organize club activities and to give the club a portal to communicate with their members.

Problem with SoCal is the density of people and neurmous clubs. I would be willing to bet in the area south of Bakersfield and east to Palm springs there are more reef tanks here than anywhere else in the country...

With that, there are a ton of people wanting tobuy and sell... just a natural place to come to buy and sell. If you want it, most likely you can find it within an housr's drive, with the added bonus of meeting and seeing others and their tanks.

I am thankful for this board. It has provided me so much information that I have not made bad mistakes, and I managed to buy a lot of equipment at prices I that allowed me to build a larger tank. Without this place I would have a 20 gallon that is crashing every 6 weeks.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6830667#post6830667 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dymaxiun
Maybe we shoud add a subforum for all the FS posts. Just a suggestion...
I think that's a great idea. With the volume of FS, FT, WTB, and WTT threads in SoCal a separate forum could easily be supported. That way this forum could be left to reef related information. What do you think Mods?

Back