Is it ok to do a 90-100% water change once my tank is cycled?

BigDaddyD1992

Hello my tank has now been cycled for 4 days now and im gearing up to do a water change. I have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 15ppm nitrate. I'd like to do a big water change to get rid of these nutrients i acquired during the cycle, and was thinking about changing out almost all the water. I cycled my tank with a midnight ocellaris clownfish and plan to remove him, then do the big water change, then start slowly adding some livestock. I started with dry live rock from fiji, cured it for 5 months and then only had a 3 week cycle(and i was kinda "overfeeding" the tank to get a good bio-load for the cycle). So the only thing living in my tank is the clown and the bacteria and the clown will not be in the tank during the water change. Is doing a 90-100% water change ok to do in this situation? A guy on my forum said this wasnt a good idea. Heres a link to the forum i have for this build. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2555426

Corn Fed Iowa Bred

change as much water as you'd like.

the bacteria that support our nitrogen cycle are benthic, meaning they cling to surfaces. rocks, sand, tank walls, etc...

very few of them are floating about in the water. this is why you use "live rock" to start a cycle and not "live water".

Ok cool i was kinda thinking that same thing but i wanted to do some research first. I thought the "live water" thing was awesome btw! Lol😂😂😂

Corn Fed Iowa Bred

Don't see a need for such a large water change 10%-15% should be more than enough with nutrients being that low after cycle

Ok thanks for all the advice guys i think I'm going to go with a 20% change and then 10% once a week after that. This is why i love RC! Thanks again for your help again guys!

Corn Fed Iowa Bred

Back