Is mixing 10K and 20K halides in the same fixture a bad idea for Acroporas?

scribble

I have a tank I am building a light fixture for (it's a six foot 30 inch deep tank, 240 gallons). I'm looking to go with 4 250W SE lamps on HQL ballasts with the cheep spider reflectors. The system will be predominantly Acroporas and other SPS. I was thinking of alternating Radium 20Ks and Ushio 10Ks, 2 of each. Is this a bad idea? Although I like the look, I'm wondering if the Acros will have trouble adapting to two different types of lights. I was thinking I would run the Radiums for around 10 hours, like actinics, and then run the Ushios for maybe 5 or 6 hours as the daylight lamps. I can raise the fixture pretty high if needed, if the light is too bright. I'm planning on running it a little high anyway so the mix of lights blends together well.

I was thinking it would be kind of like with a T5 fixture where you could mix and match lamps to get the look you want. I'm kind of wondering if they would never color up right because they couldn't adapt to the broader spectrum.

Thanks for reading, any thoughts would be great.

Thanks for the replies. So no one thinks they will have trouble adapting to the large blue spike of a 20K lamp and all the low end actinic from a 10K at the same time? I was thinking of mixing Ushio 10Ks and Reeflux 10Ks, these are both quite bright on HQI ballasts. But CoralVue does not recomend the Reeflux lamps on HQI ballasts. Still, these two lamps would be a lot of blue from the reeflux 10Ks and a lot of actinic from the Ushios10Ks at the same time. I'm planning on having the lamps about 20 inches off the water.

It's my understanding that Acros develop their reflective pigments to reflect the light frequencies that irritate them, kind of like when we get a tan. It's my experience that corals that are blue and green under 20K lamps shift to purple and yellow under 10K (Ushio/AB) lamps. I haven't mixed metal halide lamps before, but I'm hoping it might give me some nice color variations if they can adapt. With 4 x 250 Watts (really more like 1200 watts total with HQI ballasts) I'm hoping that's enough light for a tank 30 inches deep. I'm also thinking of adding 2 five foot T5s as well. Hamilton makes a T5 retro with 2 80 watt T5s and 33 LEDs that I could probably fit into the canopy. With the T5s in the mix, maybe I wouldn't have to run the halides as long.

I've seen a tank years ago running 2 400w 10k and 2 400w radiums with the cheap spider reflectors, tank size 6ft x 30 x 24. He has since left the hobby but the colors he achieved were insane. He also switched the bulbs weekly so corals received light from both bulbs.

I mix lamps and my corals love it. I have 6 400 watt halides over a tank 60 X48 in size. I like the mix of colors but i run them all at once. I also like to have them on when i am home so they run for at least ten hous a day. Its expensive and hot but the corals love it.

Last edited:
Back