Is my tank ready for livestock?

Chris918

Hello friends!

My cycle is complete and I have all the equipment installed on my 45 gallon aquarium. This tank is setup to become a softie tank with clean up crew and several fish (firefish, clownfish, maybe a flame angel). I think my tank is ready for cleanup crew since they come first.

Now first here are my parameters followed by some of my last few questions:

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm
Calcium: 500+
Alkalinity: 8.8 dKH
Magnesium: 1290
Salinity: 1.024
Temp: 78
pH: 8.0

As for my questions:

1. Should I put a lot of effort into trying to raise the pH? I have some kalkwasser I could add to my auto top off, however with the Calcium being high I don't want to send that off the charts anymore than it already is. I'm assuming it is that high because I have no corals and have done several water changes to get the Nitrate as close to 0 as possible. (Salt advertises a 420-440 Ca reading at 1.024 salinity)

2.Are there any particular parameters that worry any of you? Does everything look alright to proceed with adding inverts? Any inverts you recommend?

3. Any places you prefer to get livestock? My problem here is that it will be a pain finding a place. Ordering online is pretty expensive with 29.99 shipping. I suppose there is Petco, or there is a mom and pop shop 35 minutes east. Since I'm on a budget it is tough for me to spend 60-70 dollars on inverts when half of that cost is overnight shipping.

I'm very much excited to begin this tank and I appreciate all the advise I have received so far. Thank you all for your time!

Your water parameters looks stable for livestock(IMO). I think your PH is okay, as it will swing at times. You could check your LFS you trust, online, local reefers or road trips. Try to avoid PETCO.

Yeah I've heard some iffy things about Petco. Do you have an online store you trust and have a positive experience with?

check out live aquaria...its free shipping for $199 and up..

4-5 snails
4-5 hermits (get the dwarf ones, they don't murder snails for their shells)
2 clown fish
a couple cleaner shrimp
and a couple corals should be close to $199

I actually really like Live Aquaria. Getting to 200 is the problem. I want to start slow when adding livestock of course so no way I can spend 200 on inverts lol but I appreciate your suggestion. That's my go to place in the future I'm sure. I may just end up going there anyway haha

If you're only doing your CUC for now check out ReefCleaners. I would do one of their snail only quick crews; you're bound to get some small hermits in there, I always have.

https://www.reefcleaners.org/cleaner-packages-with-free-shipping

Yup. Great place for CUC. As for fish, Live Aquaria, particularly the Diver's Den section where it's WYSIWYG. Yes, it's more expensive but you know exactly what you're getting and they have the best 'stay alive' warranty in the industry.

As for pH, I wouldn't even bother testing. So long as your kH is where it should be (over 7 and under 11 and stable) pH is largely irrelevant since the kH is buffering it. I have a pH probe on my Apex but wouldn't miss it at all. The only time pH is important is if you are running a Ca reactor and need to monitor the pH inside the reactor.

1. No, do not worry about your pH, just keep an eye on your alkalinity. Your calcium is high which isn't a problem in and of itself, but you will need to clean your pump impellers more frequently if you don't bring it down. If you are using a Reef salt that is high in calcium you should switch to a salt lower in calcium like Instant Ocean.
2. I would raise yourmagnesium to 1350 and your salinity to 1.026, your corals will do better at the ocean's salinity level.

I would not add an Angel to your tank. They get very aggressive when kept in too small a tank ( 70 gallon minimum) and often nip or even destroy corals.

Back