Is there a pink sarcophyton?

john37

Super Rad Member
Premium Member
Anyone seen one?
i saw one at a LFS, not completely sure it was a sarco...about 90% sure.
anyways, are they dyed? or has anyone ever had one?
if so, can you please post a picture? thank you.

I have seen this issue in one and sometimes both LFS in my area. In short if you see something like hot pink or something that doesn't seem normal... 99% of the time your instincts are correct. The only times you will see a natural crazy colored leather type coral would be a carnation coral (Mega-difficult to keep for most) that happens to be pink. Cladiellas seem to be the chosen victim of this practice in my area.

Mind you when I say pink, I am talking about highlighter pink. But yeah just to reiterate, trust your instincts. And even if you don't.. ask to put the coral on hold and look that particular coral species in a book like Borneman's or something and it will tell you the usual colors for that coral. You will find one of two things happen: The store will vehimately defend the "fact" that taht is the coral's true color, or they call the company they got it from and share their thoughts about never ordering from them again.

coloration depends a lot on environment (local fauna/flora for food source, lighting, and to some degree temperature and water dynamics-visual/physical appearance) but also of course species/genes.

i've seen very orangey ones (sarcophyton tenuispiculatum) and a couple of golden yellow types (s. elegans, s. serenei, and maybe s. subvirde).

there are a couple of green flesh-types too (partial body colors). the popular neon green polyps are more environmental and age-related than permanent traits imo.

but even the 'typical' coloration and traits aren't universal to the species ime. for instance, i've seen brownish and golden tenuispiculatums as well as the orangey types.

otoh, there are pinkish sarcos (s. roseum, s. infundibuliforme, etc.) but even those pinkish ones are more fleshy pink though and can turn brownish/tan/beige as well as pinky pink. i've never seen a hot pink sarco though.

anthomastus (similar looking coral to sarcos) can look hot pink but that's an impossible to get coral (ultra deep-water coral), besides speculating on the level of care required.

As said before, many factors are in play regarding color. I have a couple Sarco frags that are pinkish. Under actinics, the head is lightly metallic green. I picked mine up at a frag swap for a couple of mangroves. I have an accidental picture of one. It is definately not the best picture for color. It was my first set of reef pics and i didn't clean the glass.

An interesting side note: I have many stalks of pom pom xenia. The ones growing closer to the bottom are noticably more pink. The stalks growing on the glass, close to the light, are more off-white.

The leather on the right.
117568actinodiscus.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7777683#post7777683 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Electrobes
The only times you will see a natural crazy colored leather type coral would be a carnation coral (Mega-difficult to keep for most) that happens to be pink.

Pink nephtheas are also quite common here in Japan. (In fact, I have a small one in my tank.) These are more of a pastel pink though; some places classify them as "purple," despite being a very obvious pink shade.

I almost accidentally purchased a hot pink carnation coral without knowing how difficult it was, but someone purchased it before my order processed. (Blessing in disguise.) I do hope to get a small blue carpet anemone once the LFS gets it back in stock though.

Back