Is this a bad algae ?


New member
I bought these small yellow polyps last night, and I found this maroon colored substance on the live rock and some of the polyps themselves.

Is this one of the bad algae types? I have the rock in a quarantine tank now.

Is there any way for me to clean it off and keep the polyps, or would I be safer in the long run by getting rid of it and not putting it in the display tank?

Thanks for any advice you have!




If I'm not mistaken, that algae is called cyanobacteria.

If you can scrape it off in quarantine, you might as well.

I don't know if algae like that can become a nuisance in your tank- it would depend on the water quality in your tank. You certainly don't want to introduce it if you can help it though, just to be safe..