is this a bad guy?

millie2010

i was able to pull him off the rock without too much of a problem. is this manjano or hydroid or maybe i'm not even close?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 0
I have those. Way too many of them. Some type of colonial jellyfish-ish animal (if I remember correctly) believe it or not. Ron Shimek ID'd them for me a few years ago over on the Marine Depot invert forums. Remove or kill them ASAP, trust me. I can try to find the thread but I dunno if RC will let me post the link, if that forum is still there you could search for my username (same as here) and probly find it. Good Luck.

Yeah, looks like something they have at one of the local stores here. It's the sessile stage of a jellyfish.

They are the fastest spreading pest I have found in my tank, with in a couple of days they had sprouted up on almost half of my rocks. Get rid of them ASAP. I hear they also have a light sting when in a good sized group.

They are the fastest spreading pest I have found in my tank, with in a couple of days they had sprouted up on almost half of my rocks. Get rid of them ASAP. I hear they also have a light sting when in a good sized group.

Yes they do have a potent sting, to me anyway. I had quite a rash (bloody in spots even) on my hand and forearm after attacking them a couple of months ago. Took a couple of weeks to clear up. I now wear the big purple and orange gloves when I go to war. I can't seem to kill them anyway unless I can remove the rock and dunk it in super saturated kalk.

If it's what I think, a "hydroid" of some sort, yes kill it, remove it asap. They are little jellyfish like guys that do colonize together and multiply like crazy. If you have 1, you have many!! They will sting, they bother fish and corals alike. As far as i have read, there's no surefire way to get rid of them. Sometimes fish like Wrasses or Dottybacks "might" nip at them, but that's not always the case.

I have had them for years. They started in one small area and I should have stopped them then. They have spread all over the tank, and they are very hard to control now. If you kill them when they are only just a few you should have no problem. The EASIEST way is just cover them with epoxy or super glue. The BEST way is probably remove the rock if you can, and treat the area with HOT kalk paste. I use Mrs Wages pickling lime, which is available at wal-mart, or your local hardware store in the canning section. Just mix it up with a little RO water, apply with a plastic knife or popsicle stick, etc. and let it sit for several minutes. Rinse with tank water and put it back. You may need to repeat if they come back.

Anyone else have a method that works?

I've actually heard of people taking a torch to them, probably a little extreme and harmful to other life form on the rock but probably satisfying with how much of a pest they are.

I actually electrocuted mine by accident (heater shorted out), that worked. But if I had a choice I would go with your method though Randy, that sounds most efficient.

I've actually heard of people taking a torch to them, probably a little extreme and harmful to other life form on the rock but probably satisfying with how much of a pest they are.

I actually electrocuted mine by accident (heater shorted out), that worked. But if I had a choice I would go with your method though Randy, that sounds most efficient.

Wow did everything survive after your tank got electrocuted? It just happened to my buddies tank 2 days ago and the tank doesn't look too good.

It happened to me 10 years ago. Killed all the fish. Corals, anemone, and most inverts survived and seemed unaffected. It did kill most of my bristleworms though. I rarely see any so I really need to re-stock.

Luckily it's just a FOWLR tank and all that died was all my snails and Peppermint shrimp, no fish or hermits. I only had a Banggai Cardinalfish and a pair of maroon clowns in there at the time.

My Female clown is what set off the alarms that something was wrong. She didn't venture out very far from my return cover even during feeding. She also had a few small bumps pop up near her mouth. I immediately thought ich some how but had no additions in over 5 months so I thought that was strange.

I'm a shipping/receiving manager so I have tons of cuts on my fingers all the time and thought that small sting on my hands when I put them in there was the salt in the wound. Sadly, it was about 4 days before I realized what it was. That was a few months ago and everyone is happy again.

Back