Is this Gorg the source of my tank Woes???

Horace

Hey folks, I have been having one hell of a time with my tank for months on months. I have narrowed my problem down to a couple potential things, but all in all, my Sps and Zoas have been badly effected over the past months, and barely holding on. I started to think there must be some toxin in the water after having multiple ICP tests come back with nothing significantly out of line.

I have two Gorgonians, both are the same species of photosynthetic purple gorg with HUGE polyps. These have been doing AMAZING in my tank, unlike pretty much everything else....which begs the question, is this the source of my toxin??? Are these doing great because they are the cause of the demise of everything else? I am just curious if anyone else has experienced this.

Here is a picture of the larger one. It is about a foot tall and 6" in diameter or more.

9b8c4c6dd6bb802c9a17dab45eedaedc.jpg

LPS are the least effected, although even those have had very limited growth, and varying degrees of polyp extension. My SPS have had VERY poor PE for months, and some have died. Virtually no growth on my SPS, and very poor color. Zoas wont open all the way (less than half way open). I bought some new zoas this weekend to see how they would do, and they started to open immediately, then closed up and will not open more than about 20%. SOMETHING is wrong.....

All my params test good...and NO3 - 3-5ppm , Po4 .03

While my nutrients are indeed low, i wouldnt think they are low enough to cause this sort of harsh response.

I suppose its possible that their chemical defenses (Diterpenes,etc...) are causing problems..
Are you running carbon?

I suppose toxins are possible, which makes me wonder about carbon as asked by mcgyr and your water change schedule? You said you narrowed it down to a couple of potential culprits, what are the other(s)?

Did you make any other changes to make your gorgs happy (light, flow, feeding, temp)? Often, when I adjust something in my tank to make a new addition happy, other things become less happy. I think it is in part the nature of keeping a 'mixed reef' where you're sticking a bunch of things from different environments together.

Because there are so many 'moving parts' to a reef system, it's frequently very difficult to pin down true causes. Sometimes just a tank's aging process ('old tank syndrome') can have an adverse impact on things.

Matt

I suppose toxins are possible, which makes me wonder about carbon as asked by mcgyr and your water change schedule? You said you narrowed it down to a couple of potential culprits, what are the other(s)?

Did you make any other changes to make your gorgs happy (light, flow, feeding, temp)? Often, when I adjust something in my tank to make a new addition happy, other things become less happy. I think it is in part the nature of keeping a 'mixed reef' where you're sticking a bunch of things from different environments together.

Because there are so many 'moving parts' to a reef system, it's frequently very difficult to pin down true causes. Sometimes just a tank's aging process ('old tank syndrome') can have an adverse impact on things.

Matt

Yes I run carbon (probably 1.5Cups in a reactor). I actually just changed it this morning, so I am going to note any change when i get home from work.

Yeah I intentionally left a lot of info out because I didnt want to rehash all that, but no I have never had any issues with the gorg. it was one of the first (maybe the first?) coral i put in the tank, and has always done fantastic. Its about doubled in size over 6 months. I also had a small branch fall off that formed a whole second colony, which is about 1/3 the size of the main now. Overall it has done VERY well. Its the only thing I have that actually has shown any growth at all. ALL of my other corals look either the same or worse than the day I put them in, which is really frustrating. I used to have a tank PACKED with SPS that grew so darn fast I couldnt frag it fast enough, and this tank has been a battle from day one (its about 1.5 years old now).

This is complete speculation and only my personal opinion but, for people that have had great success in the past and started new tanks more recently, only to struggle, it seems like it is often: 1) the switch to LEDs, which can work great but, can be tricky to get dialed in correctly, particularly for 'puck style' lights like Kessils and Radions; and 2) sometimes, now, with all the 'nutrient management' options we have, now, people reduce their nutrients too low, seemingly forgetting nitrates and phosphates are fertilizer. It might be worth trying to recreate what has worked for you in the past.

Matt

I have 6 species of gorgonians in my tank (including the one pictured) and have always had them in many tanks before.. mixed reefs.. never had any issues with toxins etc. I strongly doubt that is the cause..

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

This is complete speculation and only my personal opinion but, for people that have had great success in the past and started new tanks more recently, only to struggle, it seems like it is often: 1) the switch to LEDs, which can work great but, can be tricky to get dialed in correctly, particularly for 'puck style' lights like Kessils and Radions; and 2) sometimes, now, with all the 'nutrient management' options we have, now, people reduce their nutrients too low, seemingly forgetting nitrates and phosphates are fertilizer. It might be worth trying to recreate what has worked for you in the past.

Matt

This is actually very good speculation IMO....

I think I have caused a good deal of my issues thus far by doing exactly what you are saying. I do have puck style LEDs (LED Group Buy Lumia 5.2x 6) + 2 80w T5. In the past ive had 400w Halides and at this point wonder if I would have been better off just sticking with what worked....

Either way, I am committed now to making this new setup work.

If I can cross the gorg off the list of problems, then I have one more that I am actively working on as well :). The good news is right now the tank seems to be holding steady. SPS while not thriving, appear not to be dying either any longer. This may be mother natures way of telling me to not do SPS again :) lol.

I will get this back on track....im too damn stubborn to let this tank beat me lol

You only list two of the eight important parameters!

While the level of each is important, more importantly, in the consistency and flux of each.

All corals hate change.

Can you list your parameters and daily flux?

Assuming no toxin, if all eight are on point and stable at all times, everything will thrive.

Back