Is this normal? Return vortex...

xr4kw

Everytime I turn off my return pump it causes a vortex in the tank and water siphons back down into the return pump. Then, when I turn the pump back on it blows ALOT of micro bubbles and continues to blow puffs of micro bubbles for the next hour or so.

Please help, this is very frustrating, any ideas to avoid this?

Thanks...

how far under the water level are your return lines, you could drill a small hole in them so there is no siphon(or not alot) but thats only if there on top of the tank or you will lose alot of water when or if the power goes out.

The return lines come up out of the overflow and the flat flare type nozzles are about an 1 1/2" under the surface

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14217208#post14217208 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by xr4kw
The return lines come up out of the overflow and the flat flare type nozzles are about an 1 1/2" under the surface

Yes it sounds like you need to drill a small hole in the return lines just under the waterline to break the syphon. What's happening is that the water is being syphoned out of the tank until one of the returns is exposed to air, that's when the syphon is broken.

Back