Is this ok for a QT?

boostedvq

uploadfromtaptalk1435604670031.jpg

Small Rio pump for circulation

Heater to keep temp 77-79 (although inside temp has been around 78 as it is)

Filter sponge that's been sitting in my sump for 2 months

Anything else I need to do?

PVC for hiding and might cover 3 sides of the tank just to make fish feel more secure.

Since you have done the correct thing and QT, make sure you do it long enough to be effective!

Airstone and small powerhead pointed at the surface might help.

Also lots of PVC :)

View attachment 321883

Small Rio pump for circulation

Heater to keep temp 77-79 (although inside temp has been around 78 as it is)

Filter sponge that's been sitting in my sump for 2 months

Anything else I need to do?

Looks good!
Just a observation, is that three triggers in a 10 gallon tank?

That bio load is way too much for a qt, and aggression will be high

If they aren't triggers and I am being dumb, what are they?

Looks good!
Just a observation, is that three triggers in a 10 gallon tank?

That bio load is way too much for a qt, and aggression will be high

If they aren't triggers and I am being dumb, what are they?
It's actually a paired blue throat trigger pair, along with a scopas tang.

I plan on doing a daily 1 gallon wc during the time they're in qt

Tanks probably too small for two triggers and a tang.

I'd say 40 gallon minimum for those.

More than likely the Triggers will also get aggressive in that sized tank.

+1

If you keep the tang in there its likely dead.
I would keep one trigger maximum in a 10 gal, and it would have to be like 2 inches long

Return two fish, keep one IMO if you don't want losses

+1

If you keep the tang in there its likely dead.
I would keep one trigger maximum in a 10 gal, and it would have to be like 2 inches long

Return two fish, keep one IMO if you don't want losses

Before I do that, I also have a wading pool I used to house my fish when I had to repair a leak. It was one of those $10 pools at target. Could I use that for a QT and keep all 3 in there? If not, then I'll return 2 of them.

Before I do that, I also have a wading pool I used to house my fish when I had to repair a leak. It was one of those $10 pools at target. Could I use that for a QT and keep all 3 in there? If not, then I'll return 2 of them.

If it is food safe, I don't see why not.. Do you know diameter?

Not off hand. I do know it took about 30 gals to fill up.

Or, about 80 lbs of play sand to provide a 4" deep sandbox for my kids (I have 2 haha)

No sand in QT
30 gals is still pushing it. Try and see if you can go to petco and pickup a 40b, for 40$. will be a great QT
What is your DT size? You would need at least a 180 for 2 bluejaws

Just food for thought... We have a 300g DT and for our QT system, we have 2x 40 breeders and 2x 55g for the fish, and a 40 breeder for coral/inverts. Many of the fish that most people chose to put in a tank of this size are almost always to big for a 10 or 20 gallon tank, even for short periods.

Also, once the DT is stocked, if something happens to get in the tank, you will need a LOT more than what you have. Even with 270g of QT, I would want more tanks if I had an emergency and had to remove all of the fish from the DT.

It is my opinion, especially with big (100g+) tanks, that we need to plan for the worst and hope for the best.

For a 200 gal I would say at least a 40b for a QT.. You can't expect a tang in a 10 gallon no matter how small

Just food for thought... We have a 300g DT and for our QT system, we have 2x 40 breeders and 2x 55g for the fish, and a 40 breeder for coral/inverts. Many of the fish that most people chose to put in a tank of this size are almost always to big for a 10 or 20 gallon tank, even for short periods.

Also, once the DT is stocked, if something happens to get in the tank, you will need a LOT more than what you have. Even with 270g of QT, I would want more tanks if I had an emergency and had to remove all of the fish from the DT.

It is my opinion, especially with big (100g+) tanks, that we need to plan for the worst and hope for the best.

To you both, I thank you for your responses. The fact that you both are helping me become a better reefer, instead of nit picking what I'm doing is appreciated.

I'd love to have a large enough tank for a qt, unfortunately my house isn't big enough at the moment. I think whoever designed this house, designed it without thinking of movers, as there's a lot of odd shaped walls. The one area where I could put a 40breeder, is the desk my son uses for homework. Plus, having 3 kids with tons of toys takes away from tank space haha

Regardless, we are moving in 2 years, max. At that point I'll be moving towards a 72 x 36 x 22, with a dedicated area for reefing (qt, equipment, etc)

Again

To you both, I thank you for your responses. The fact that you both are helping me become a better reefer, instead of nit picking what I'm doing is appreciated.

I'd love to have a large enough tank for a qt, unfortunately my house isn't big enough at the moment. I think whoever designed this house, designed it without thinking of movers, as there's a lot of odd shaped walls. The one area where I could put a 40breeder, is the desk my son uses for homework. Plus, having 3 kids with tons of toys takes away from tank space haha

Regardless, we are moving in 2 years, max. At that point I'll be moving towards a 72 x 36 x 22, with a dedicated area for reefing (qt, equipment, etc)

Again

Tell your son to move!!!! :lol:
But seriously you need to get a new qt fast!
The tang is going to get beaten!

Back