Is this possible?

celtic_Dude

This may not be the smartest ? but if you decide to go with only t-5 lighting, is there anything you could do to add a little shimmering affect to your tank similar to mh's?

I haven't tried, BUT will soon, hooking up the PowerBrite LEDs from Current USA. They add a pretty good shimmering affect by themselves companied with PC bulbs. I'm not sure if I'll get the same effect with T5s though.

I currently am running 3 (10000k) powerbrites- 1 powermodule and 2 linking. They do a pretty good job of adding shimmer effect through 440 watts vho lighting, provided you have good surface agitation.

Ya you can get the small LED strips and put them over your tank. The shimmer comes from point source light ie. m.h. the length of the t-5 bulbs are what takes way the shimmer. I'm running 16 t-5's and three led strips. my tank is 7' long but I get the shimmer. not as well as with m.h. still nice!

Thanks for the good word! I have never had mh before and am not sure if I will go that route in the near future but I love the way it looks in my friends tanks and my lfs. For the Led's, can they be a diy project or best to buy them?

you're better off just buying them. It's too much of a hassle making a retro and finding the right cooling system to keep them from overheating.

Back