Is this return pump strong enough for my setup?

plancton

I'm planning to setup a 24x24x14 shallow reef, so it is about 34 gal. I want to set up a sump and I want it to not be so big in terms of water, perhaps 5 gal max.

For the return I want to use a QUIET ONE PRO 1200 (317 GPH) - LIFEGARD

would that be enough return flow rate?

If you have no other display tank circulation than your sump return pump, then it is not enough circulation. What is in your sump? Just curious. I see no reason for more circulation thru sump. I have a 40G cryptic refugium with 295 GPHr feeding 120G display.

Depending on what you have in display tank, determines circulation requirements. I install circulation pumps, wave makers or air lifts to move water in display tanks. IMO, circulating excessive water thru refugiums/sumps is an inefficient use of electricity.

Last edited:
Question can't be answered without more information..
Specifically head height (vertical distance from sump to top of display tank)..

General numbers commonly thrown around for return pump flow rate are 3-5x display tank size in gallons per hour AFTER head loss..
Example.. For a 100g tank you want 300-500ghp (3-5x) ..
If your display tank water is 4ft above your sumps water then you look at the pumps flow chart and find one rated to do that much at 4ft of head..

And yes then more general numbers for total flow rate in the tank.. (done via powerheads in the tank) is 30x display tank size for starters..
Some run 50x-75x and even 100x for high flow SPS only tanks..
So a 100g tank you would want a powerhead or multiple powerheads totaling 3000 GPH or more..

Sorry, I meant not whole tank circulation, but just sump to main tank circulation. It will sit about 3 feet under so according to their charts the flow rate is 200 gph for a 34 gal.

Yes, I will add an Icecap gyre pump for circulation in the display

Sorry, I meant not whole tank circulation, but just sump to main tank circulation. It will sit about 3 feet under so according to their charts the flow rate is 200 gph for a 34 gal.

Yes, I will add an Icecap gyre pump for circulation in the display

Ok with the stated head that return pump is likely perfect..

Back