Issue with my giant mushroom

Yeah, you're probably right. I don't think the rics get that big. My ric also had two mouths as it was splitting. I've just never seen my hairy guys stretch like that. Whatever you have, it is very nice.

Thanks. And hopefully not dying, lol. My wife will be very upset if it does die because that's the only coral I have that she really likes.

im sure you may have it straightened out, but i have these same exact mushrooms. they are awesome and that is how i have seen mine split over the years.
you should see these mushrooms under leds, they turn green and pink !!

I used to have leds and it was pretty awesome. I was nervous about it because I have had this guy for over 2 years and this is the first time it is splitting on me. My clowns recently started hosting it and I'm thinking the stress from them rubbing in it is what is causing it to split. Either way it is a cool process to watch.

RMR RaC3R, if they are hairy mushrooms, how do you remove yours from the rock? Mine make a mat that's impossible to remove. I stopped cutting them off because they just spread more.

OK. So when I woke up this morning I got the relief I was looking for and am now 100% sure it is splitting and not dying. I had to wait until the lights came on and then after a cookout but here is a pic of my almost completely split shrooms.

2012-09-03_15-59-37_624.jpg

Still kind of hard to see, but you can see the line where it split and you can also see the tiniest bit of rock between the 2 pieces. There is only a very small (probably 1") section of meat that still connects them but I'm guessing that will be gone by tomorrow and in a week or so I should have 2 nicely healed monsters, lol. Even though it split both pieces should still be around 6", those are monsters in my books, lol

Back