Iwaki Pump adds 5 degrees to my tank.

I have an Iwaki MD70RLT pump powering a Dual Beckett 42 inch tall skimmer. I've been having heat issues in my tank all summer. I turned the skimmer off 48 hours ago and my tank temperature has dropped from 84.5 with the lights off to 79.5 -- my heaters are running to keep it that warm.

With 3 250w HQI lights it only goes to 81 now.

I haven't a clue why this pump is heating up so much. I recently cleaned it out. Dusted it off. Cleaned out the fan area. It is not enclosed to a tank stand. I have it in open room air.

The pipe to the pump is 1.5 inch which reduces to the pumps 1 inch input. The output of the pump is also 1 inch, which I have going to a 1.5 inch vertical length PVC (about 3 foot), to a 1.5 inch Tee which splits to two 1 inch insert adapters which feed the dual Beckett's.

I'm at the point where I'm thinking about switching skimmers and pumps if I can't find a way to prevent this thing from heating up the tank. Any ideas?

wow. I had an ampeater that raised my 120g 3-4 degrees.I have also had little giants warm tanks up also .

Wow, strange. This is an external pump afterall, and besides heating the air around it, should not increase water temperature like a submersible pump would. Unless I'm totally missing something here????

I run several Iwakis (MD40RLXT's, MD70RLT's, MD100RLT's, etc) on my tanks and have never noticed an appreciable water temperature decrease when taking one off-line for maintenance.

I really suspect that although you say that the pump is housed in an open-air area, that the subtraction of the heat normally produced by the pump is more likely the reason or, some other factor is not being considered here.

Did you change ANY other equipment or change any other parameters (ie. shortened photoperiod, run home AC at a lower thermostat setting, add an evaporative fan, etc.) during this episode?

Rich chech the water temperature on the input and output of the the pump and you will have your answer.
Ralph

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8062396#post8062396 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Gisho
Did you change ANY other equipment or change any other parameters (ie. shortened photoperiod, run home AC at a lower thermostat setting, add an evaporative fan, etc.) during this episode?

Nope. Only thing that changed is the weather, it is a bit cooler the past few days. I'm going to repeat the test a few more times over the next week or two to make sure I can reproduce the results.

After being off for 2 days and never going above 81.5 during that time, I just turned the pump on 30 minutes ago and I already see a .5 degree increase in tank temp. (80.2 to 80.7 -- with lights off). Today is expected to be another cool day like yesterday.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8062821#post8062821 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RGibson
Rich chech the water temperature on the input and output of the the pump and you will have your answer.
Ralph

You would expect a detectable increase in one pass?

Back