IYO -- ASM G2 big enough for a 120g?

E-A-G-L-E-S

120g Mixed Reef w/50g sump.........mostly LPS.
5 Fish:
1.Y.W. Goby(2")
2.L.M. Blennie(2")
3. 2-Chromis(2" each)
4. B.T. Trigger(4")

Thanks - Matt(i will be upgrading from a Red Sea Berlin)

My G2 really worked well on my 90G, but I'd say get a G3 if you can. Reefgeek has it for $259 free shipping, or wait for a used one.

I would either wait for a used G3 or get the reefgeek one for $259

You could always try ASMskimmers & see if they could beat the $259 price?

spring for the extra few bucks if you can, you wont say later, man i wish i had gone bigger....

remember, ER rates their skimmers differently then ASM thus simply going by the claimed rating isn't necessarily what you have to do. I would compare the physical size of say a G3 vs a ER 6-20, 24 etc or whatever you want & go from there.

ASM G3 Protein Skimmer
[G3] $243.99

Width: 6.5 inches
Height: 23.5 inches
Footprint: 9.5 inches X 12 inches

ER 8-24
Ideal Aquarium: 155g
Footprint: 11" x 13.5"
Height: 24"
Diameter: 8"

the ER is a LOT bigger then ASM even though the ER is rated for a smaller tank :)

ER 6-20
Ideal Aquarium: 100g
Footprint: 8.5" x 10"
Height: 20"
Diameter: 6"
Pump(s): 1 x Euro-Reef Skimmer Pump Model SP2

ER 6-24
Ideal Aquarium: 125g
Footprint: 10" x 11.5"
Height: 24"
Diameter: 6"
Pump(s): 1 x Euro-Reef Skimmer Pump Model SP3

I used a g-3 on my 120 for a while it did great but swapped it out for an ER8-2 which was wider that all.

IMO a g-2 will have you wanting to upgrade while the g-3 seems to be their best balanced skimmer IMO you will be very happy with a g-3 for the money

o.k. but then again they are without pumps, so after getting an appropriate pump, i'm back to $375-$400
Comparable ASM G3 -- $260 w/ pump

How much better is say the ER 6-24 than the ASM G3?

Thanks alot- Matt

the er 6-24 would be closest to g3, in my opinion.

But, if that is all the fish you're going with, that is a LIGHT load. The berlin should still handle it, but once you decide to get more then i'd say go to the G3 or comparable.
you can get a MRC mr-1 rated for 175g for 250 and run a sen 900 for 59.99 , would be 310.00 brand new. warning though sen900 added about 3degrees when i had it running in the tank. Relegated it to pumping water for water changes. and priming ca reactor.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6356240#post6356240 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by E-A-G-L-E-S
o.k. but then again they are without pumps, so after getting an appropriate pump, i'm back to $375-$400
Comparable ASM G3 -- $260 w/ pump

How much better is say the ER 6-24 than the ASM G3?

Thanks alot- Matt

The ER's I listed all come with pumps

I went with a ASM G3 because of price. ASMskimmers is a few miles from my house thus I didn't have to pay shipping which made the G3 $50+ cheaper then a comparable blem ER.

a great way to get a skimmer is to simply check out the classifieds. That's how I purchased my ER 12-2 which was several hundred less then buying one new. You could probably find a used ASM or ER which already has the gatevalve mod & with x-mas just passing us you never know what people will be selling :)

asm will be cheaper than the mrc, no question once you add the pump, plus the electricity consumption 24x7.
check out both, the mrc club, and the asmskimmer club, h&S but they start adding up with the money too.
brows the er and h&s deltec ones as well as their respective forums on here.
asm's will be cheaper. and is what i ended up with. for sure than an mrc, lot of people say that becket kicks butt though.
Personally, i think if you got the G2, you wouldnt' be happy.

with that being all the fish, may be the case anyhow as you'd expect a big skimmer to pull more out. But that is a light load.

My G2 handled a 90G with 12 fish just fine. I cant say the Deltec AP600 is all that much better. Seems to pull out about the same.

I have a G3 on order from Premium Aquatics -- they hope to have them in stock this week. I think it is $243 + about $9 shipping. I saw others with similar prices but from experience if there is a problem Jermey and PA are going to stand behind it (not that others won't) and you will get a live voice on the phone if necessary unlike a lot of others who either use only email or voice mail.

I've yet to ever find a vendor with the customer service PA has. I just put an order in with them this morning.

Back