JBJ 20 gallon frag tank RL series. Anybody here own one?

Scuba Dan

I put up a WTB ad looking for a frag tank and no luck. Looks like I'm going to buy new. Im looking at the JBJ 20 gallon frag tank. Does anybody around town have them in stock? If you own one, how do you like it? LED recommendations?
Thanks....

1863e042-6fad-433e-a112-a502f9b90dc3_zpsln3lkij4.jpg

I own one as a reef tank and love it. I recommend upgrading to the in-tank media basket but that's about it.
63f97a115b1b753147ac2ce7f1c2c1da.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
c690b6e3663c9ca9eb641749159a0303.jpg

Thanks for the reply..... What light are you using? Does JBJ make a in-tank media basket for the tank?

Thanks for posting the link. I like the light arm/bracket. Did that come with the light? What skimmer is that? Sorry for all the questions. :)

Yeah it's the 9001 I think, I don't recommend it at all. I would have went with maybe the innovative ghost if I could do it all over.

I have the jbj rl 30. I replaced the stock pumps with a jebao 1200 DC pump and the flow is a lot better + it's controllable. For a light I ordered a ocean revive t247-b led which seems to cover these tanks well and they have legs that mount to the tank. I was on the fence between the t247, Ai Prime, or Kessil 160 but after lots of researching and I decided on the t247.

there is a guy in new port richey that makes AIO frag tanks. usually you can find him on craigslist. few poeple on here have his frag tanks and say they are great quality

FL_Spearo, Thanks for taking the time to answer all the questions and posting of the pics. :)

mlivvy, Thanks for the reply. What skimmer are you using? if using one.

there is a guy in new port richey that makes AIO frag tanks. usually you can find him on craigslist. few poeple on here have his frag tanks and say they are great quality

I thought about acrylic, but thought Id go with glass to help avoid scratches.. :)

No problem and good luck with whatever set up you go with. I may take mlivvy's advice and upgrade my pump soon. I didn't know if any pump would be interchangeable with the tank. Even with my mp10 id still like more flow.

I love my jbj 20 frag system. For light I'm running a SBreeflight 16 inch basic version (I switched from a kessil 360we and this thing grows coral like crazy and coloring is great.... Was only $130 to boot too). Also I don't run a skimmer on my frag system but I keep it low nutrient.

70682dc46167bddf66ef773232fe0130.jpg

Last edited:
Picked up a second hand JBJ Frag tank/stand with a Current USA Orbit Marine LED (Cool lighting feature.) Friday evening. It may be a early version. Not really impressed with the silicone job on the tank. (Previous owner stated it came from the factory like that.) I noticed (2) 1/8th holes in the black wall. Anybody know why they are there? There is one in the first chamber and one in the last chamber about middle way up.

Thinking about going with the Ice Cap K2-50 skimmer.
51VxGpvnjL._SX425__zpsrbalumyb.jpg

Last edited:
Mine has the same holes, I didn't fill them. I did re silicone the back. Wall and its dividers though bc I wasn't impressed with the silicone work either.

Back