need to make an emergency build purchase for own personal health

banthonyb71

I'm in a tough spot. I'm in an apartment where I dont intend to stay more than 6-8 months so was holding off buying the 215-300 gallon reef tank until I move into a house. (hopefully this year)

However I'm going through a bout of depression/anxiety. The only way I usually can handle this is by either finding enjoyable things to tinker with or by occupying my time with a hobby. reefing has always worked well. Long story short. I need to buy a tank for my own personal health even if it ends up being smaller than ill want a year from now. Maybe I can use it for a frag tank later or 2nd display tank.

with that being said, I dont want the tank to be too small but also not too big for the apartment and too expensive to where im investing more than ill be able to afford once I get the larger tank. like I dont want to dump 10k into this tank and still have to dump money for the ground up on the larger tank.

I just dont know what I should get. Im looking at 80-125 display tank volume. my budget for just tank sump and lighting is $5500 Ill add other things as I go.

im looking into the red sea plug and play or innovative style sytems but honestly, im just not a fan of the open top aquariums like everyone else. but id still consider if I cant find something with a canopy that I can hide a good t5/led hybrid. Id rather have the max coverage with no dead spots more than having lights that look cool. is the ati hybrid still a good system?

Im also opened to used systems.

Maybe I can use it for a frag tank later or 2nd display tank.
Why not go with this up front? Setup a frag system to accumulate and grow corals for your big eventual tank. You can accumulate lots of gear that will transfer over (if you want) and there's plenty to tinker with in a frag system ( fragging, swapping, mounting).

Why not go with this up front? Setup a frag system to accumulate and grow corals for your big eventual tank. You can accumulate lots of gear that will transfer over (if you want) and there's plenty to tinker with in a frag system ( fragging, swapping, mounting).
That's what I want. Trying to find what to go with.

Why not just get a 30 gallon or so to have for now…you could use it as a quarantine tank when you get into the house and your big display.
I'd like something bigger. Something actually closer in size to the eventual tank as to not have to change too much equipment also to get some more practice under my belt as I've never had a tank over 80 gallons.

That's what I want. Trying to find what to go with.
I'm using a Zoomed lowboy 50 gallon frag tank. Cheap price, fully drillable 4' x 2' x 9". It's been running 3 yrs without issue. If you want something more premium/ larger, I see that Innovative Marine has a 50% off sale right now...

50% or 15%?

I thought I seen a sale on brs that was only 15% and the larger tanks weren't included.

50%, I'd probably jump all over that.
Says up to 50% off. 13 yr anniversary.

im.png

oh man.. I think i want that 170 int but no idea how im going to get that thing in. I seen a video of 3 big dudes struggle lifting it on the stand

oh man.. I think i want that 170 int but no idea how im going to get that thing in. I seen a video of 3 big dudes struggle lifting it on the stand

That’s definitely a nice tank size. I recently bought a used 120 and my son and his friend were able to carry it into the house and down the basement stairs.

If you don’t have anyone able to help, maybe you could hire some movers???

That’s definitely a nice tank size. I recently bought a used 120 and my son and his friend were able to carry it into the house and down the basement stairs.

If you don’t have anyone able to help, maybe you could hire some movers???
the 75 proably alot more practical for my apartment but the 170 is nice. You think they deliver to apartments?

If they ship, I don’t see any reason they would not ship to an apartment. Can’t wait to follow your progress.

yep it is ground level and I found a friend who can bring help setting it up. I emailed IM with the pertinent questions regarding delivery. So hopfully can get this deliver next week or so

So I guess now have to figure out what im going to do for a lid because I do not want it open top and what im going to do for lighting. Since it will be a while before ill need anything significant for corals, I wonder if i can get away with a single xr30

Back