JBJ 30g Rimless return nozzle & pump

brad2157

I just purchased a used JBJ 30g rimless tank. This is an older tank and has two return pumps in the rear middle (return) compartment and two nozzles that come through the back wall. The previous owner installed the "œHydor Flo Rotating Water Deflector" on both returns. They don't really fit the return tubes diameter, so they are really loose. One actually blew off last night. They are either clogged up or the pump is clogged/weak.

I'd like to redo the whole return area by the following:
1. Remove one of the return pumps
2. Upgrade the other pump to a better/larger size
3. Add new plumbing (pipe/hose) between the pump and the return nozzle
4. Add a nano skimmer to the area where the 2nd return pump was at.

My questions are:
1. What pump do you recommend to use as the only return pump?
2. What type of plumbing do I need? The plastic 90 degree elbow is very loose (too small of a diameter for the hole) through the back wall of the tank, so I want to figure out what type(s) of fittings I need to replace it. I also need a plug to plug up the 2nd return hole in the back wall of the tank. Also, do I use a plastic pipe between the return pump and the 90 degree elbow or can I use a plastic hose instead?
3. What type of nano skimmer will be good and fit in the return chamber?

I know that I have lots of questions, but I would greatly appreciate any help. I'm more concerned about how to replace the existing plumbing from the pump to the return nozzle. I don't know if I need a certain bulkhead type fitting that will allow a hose to be connected from the pump, but will allow some type of nozzle to snap in on the inside of the front of the tank. I hope that makes sense.

Thank You so much in advance!

Back