JCole's big ol box of Acro's

The pumps might be old school n draw more power than DC but the skimmer seems to be balanced as far as water/air ratio n contact time

I’m sure you could retrofit some DC pumps onto it if you needed

I’ve used the skimmer before on 450 gal system and it performed great

Last edited:
Its in and running. This was about two minutes after dialing it in. Already pulling out some junk. A couple days will be the true test of what it will pull out.

The long air line hose is for a CO2 scrubber I plan on installing.

If it smells it’s working

I’ve had skimmers that pull
A lot but skimmate has minimal
Odor And I always feel those tanks could be healthier

Skimmers that pull n smell like death always seem to be working optimal

To me it’s not about the amount
Of skimmate but the stink of the skimmate

When it’s stinks it’s working

If it smells it’s working

I’ve had skimmers that pull
A lot but skimmate has minimal
Odor And I always feel those tanks could be healthier

Skimmers that pull n smell like death always seem to be working optimal

To me it’s not about the amount
Of skimmate but the stink of the skimmate

When it’s stinks it’s working

I agree! It wasn't bad at all but it will be slower once I officially get it up and running.

Well the skimmer failed. It was doing really well but then the bottom bucket separated from the second bucket. I knew it would be temporary as it was just held together by superglue and silicone. Was hoping I would get atleast a day or so out of it.

It's ok as that was just a test run. I am going to scrap it and build a new one. I have things I want to add/change and I will end up plastic welding the buckets together for a permanent bond.

Things I want to add or change
1. Dare I say 4 buckets? LOL!
2. I am going to make the second and maybe the 3rd body chamber a big bubble plate consisting of 4 plates in each body.
3. Bring the input/output pipes into the bottom bucket and not the top.
4. Going to make it out of clear buckets

Skimmer 2.0 is up and running and it is much better. I can see the water movement now with the see through buckets and they are welded together for strength. Up and running for a couple hours now and it is running well.

First start up. Thick skimmate already forming

This is the skimmate after running for an hour. This is some really good looking skimmate.

I am getting some good dark skimmate within 24hrs. I promise I won't just post nothing but skimmate pictures. Just a little stoked with how well the buckets are working.

20230107_204456.jpg
20230107_205846.jpg

I have a busy weekend ahead of me. Looking to mount 26 classic frags. The tank will be rocking some old school pieces under halides in no time.

Copps' Hulk milli
Copps' Green Monster
Copps' King Tut
Copps' Blueberry Miyagi
Copps' Bosque en el Cielo
Original Penn State red cap
Original Atlantis Strawberry Patch monti
Reef Tech Starburst Cap
Copps' Orange Mary Monti
Frag Farmer Red Hot Chili Pepper
Mystic Sunset Monti
Copps' Pink Poci
Red Robin
Hawkins Echinata
ORA Pearlberry
Oregon Blue tort
Procorals Rainbow
RRU Pink Floyd
TGC Pearly Gates
Vivid's Rainbow Delight
BC Bonsai Humili
Paletta blue stag
Peng's Metallic Red Millipora
RR Rainbow Loom
UC "Pink Whisker" Millipora
UC Blue Sapphire Acro prostrata

20230125_205134.jpg

Some definite classics in there. That’s the type of SPS tank I’ll be striving for is more of the classics

Been wondering how the tank was coming along

Glad to see all Is well

Nice update

Doing well. The system is starting to get into its stride again after the move. I had to raise my halides because they were too low. Everything is adjusting well to the lights now. I have a ton of bubble algae but that was expected. I will always have that in my system, but it is nothing some elbow grease cannot take care of.

Some definite classics in there. That’s the type of SPS tank I’ll be striving for is more of the classics

Yes, I love them. My plan is to fill this system up with nothing but old school and Legacy corals. Depending on how much room I have left after these frags, I plan on placing an order from ORA and saving room for some others, such as the PM and some old LE pieces from Tyree.

Also the red dragon. I just picked up what was sold as ORA Hawkins, ORA Orange Setosa, a pink birdsnest and a project mariculture piece

Back