just added two powerheads

mfh_anderson

I just added a power sweep 228 at on side of my tank (getting its swivel on) and my maxi jet a little lower at the other end point towards the middle and opposite side of tank.

Since adding my chromis have become much more active, swimming in the current and jetting back and forth riding the current, maybe it helps stimulate natural water movement and they are happy.

However my tank usually stayed around 77 usually a little lower, but now its up to 79.7, i have lower the temp on my heater but at this point thinking about taking it out.

The added powerhead can definatly add heat to the tank. Make sure they are not clogged at all. And for what it's worth, I used several powesweeps during my time in this hobby and find them all to be crap! My temp used to stay upwards of 82 all the time, no more powersweeps and it stays around 80 now. The powersweeps will also clog and stop swiveling very easily, may have to clean them every week at the minimum to keep em going, others have had better luck than I, but after going through 3 of them in my own personal tank and seeing them used in many others...just not worth the money you saved by getting them. Better off getting a Maxijet with a Hydor Rotator/deflector

wouldn't take it out. Most heaters have a thermostat that cuts them off when the water is below the temp you set it for. so basically if the waters warmer than you have the heater set it will cut off. If the water temp drops the heater will turn on until the temp is back up.

After seeing the power sweep in action, Im not as impressed as I was looking at the box or reading about it. Thought the swivel was a good idea. now starting to think its alot of wasted space and a distraction.

The heater does kick off, tested it to make sure.

my experience: power sweepers are lousy. I've gotten so mad and thrown it and smashed so many times....... all its good for is mixing water for water changes

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9298753#post9298753 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rustybucket145
wouldn't take it out. Most heaters have a thermostat that cuts them off when the water is below the temp you set it for. so basically if the waters warmer than you have the heater set it will cut off. If the water temp drops the heater will turn on until the temp is back up.

This is true but if the excess heat from the powerheads heated the water up past 85 or something, there's nothing keeping it from going way up there. Am I wrong on that?

Well, it's a matter of opinion, but I like the 79-80 degree range for a reef tank anyway.
As for the Powersweep, it's great as long as you can keep in working. Mine quit swiveling after about 9 months, and I think I lost a pin to the swivel mechanism trying to fix it. :rolleyes: FWIW, it is still pushing water through it after nearly 4 years.
Mariner

Back