Just ordered and APEX

ClownMan727

I bought a used Apex system and it should arrive Monday. Any advise form experienced APEX users would be greatly appreciated. This is what I am getting.

Base Unit and display
2x eb8
2x temp prob
neptune prob holder
lab grade ph prob
break out box
new float switch

After I get it all setup and ready to use what should I try first? And I should also note that I am some what computer savvy but not when it comes to writing codes or programming.

Thank you,
Roy

You should register in the Neptune Systems Community Forum. You'll find all the info needed to successfully program and run your new controller in there.

First thing you should do is download the reference manual from neptunesys website. It might be under support or something like that.
If you read this you will have a better understanding of what the controller can do. You will get basic ideas of what you might want to do. Having a basic understanding before starting will allow you to ask specific questions if you have any issues setting up and programming.
Your imagination will take over soon and thats when things get cool. Not that you would but to me it is never cool to say hey guys I want my controller to do this or that but I don't want to even try and then ask for free code. We all need help from time to time and especially at first so lots of us will be glad to help when needed.
You must know when to use set and fallback commands and why certain things use them or not.
When you really want to do something cool that a large majority of users don't understand even after many years of use you will learn how to use virtual outlets. There is no And or Or/Nor command but virtual outlets allow this as a work around.
Sometimes simple is better and have fun with it.

Just curious, did you have a system before this that controlled stuff? I'd like to hear your opinion on a former controller , such as a comparison of such. I run a RKE and have also run the lite version. But it seems the apex has a bit more features I could utilize.

Just using timers for lights and dosers and I do have a temperature controller that would turn on a fan when the temp got to 80 and that is it.

There's an unofficial user's guide. I think it's now called "Comprehensive user manual" in the Neptune support pages now. I just got an Apex and I'm finding it pretty helpful in understanding what can be done. The terminology and language is a bit overwhelming at first. When you're writing the commands it helps you fill them out so once you get familiar it's not bad.

You might find you don't need the second eb8. Many things like lights and wavemakers can run into regular power then be controlled by the modules that are required.

I think it was last updated in 2014, so nothing on the new Apex. Neptune's forum has got a bunch of info available, though.

Back