Kenya Tree toxin?

Does Kenya Tree give off a toxin when it is disturbed or removed from the tank?I removed about 25 stalks and within days half of my Xenia shriveled up and died.

Hmm, that is interesting. I have always just pruned my Kenyas in the tank and never bothered to remove them. My Xenia has been on its way out for along time now for some unknown reason.

I cut a Kenyan tree once and a Xenia That I had in close prox practically meted away over 30 days. That then caused a number of others to show stress throughout the tank. It was probably a good 90 days before everything started to catch back up. I can't say for sure it was the trimming but all the pieces of the puzzle point in that direction.

All of the other softies in the tank gave rebounded now 30 days later, but the initial die off has caused a diotom outbreak.

I had the same. Diatoms followed by Cyano followed by dinos. It was not as bad as a lot of people have but that initial die off started a chain reaction that kept me on my toes for quite some time. All the minute problems that; by them selves, are no big deal. Really become a big deal when they all hit you all at one time. Very frustrating! Once you cross the threshold and things start picking up. It's fun again. Watching everything grow is the best.

I didn't know they released a toxin, I have some that I was just going to go trimming away on to condense them down and maybe eventually sell them, now I'm rethinking that

We don't know for sure. Hoping someone can say for sure. The thing is. If you can pull it to trim it. It may be a good idea. If not. Just be very clean. Nice sharp surgical scissor maybe. Just don't be too rough on it. At least for now. Also. Only the softies in my tank were originally effected. The initial die off that I let continue caused the rest to signs. I think I could have handled it better with better husbandry.

Hi there
All you have to do is add some active carbon to your tank this takes out The toxin that softies release in the ongoing chemical warfare

Sounds simple enough. Lol. Except, I was. It helped, but let's not call it the over night solution. Once things start dying off. It was numerous water changes, GFO, and repeated changing of GAC.

Back