kessel led

NYCBOB

Would 2 Kessil 160 blue tuna cover a 90 gallon tank with mix corals and carpet anemones? I am currently running the ati sunpower 6 bulb t5. or should I go with kessil 360? Thanks.

I use two Kessil A360's on a spectral controller. I also,use a 6 bulb T5 system. I use the Kessils just for the blue color and the shimmer. Outside of that....I depend on the T5's and rendered the Kessils basically useless. Stick with the T5's. Buy an LED strip and get the shimmer if that's what you're looking for.

i spent a lot of money on Kessils and am regretting it. I'm slowing turning to a t5 system. The shimmer is beautiful, but theres too much shadowing and SPS doesnt looks good at all. If you want a shimmer but a much less expensive led light and work it into your t5 set up

Not every light works the same for everyone. You have a mixed reef, what's mixed in it? If it's LPS and softies primarily then the kessils are great. If it's sps dominant then t5 seems to work better. People always give advice based on their own needs and that's useless.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I've been running Kessil's since May. Mostly SPS but some soft and LPS. Nothing seems to respond nearly as well as they did with the T5's. I'm looking into finding a way to run my Kessils and some T5's together.

I ran a pair of 160 over my former 90 gallon. Grew softies just fine, but I had no L/SPS. My suspicion is that they would be insufficient. FWIW, while the Kessil spots will grow corals just fine, shading is a problem. Either you end up with many more than you originally anticipated or you have to supplement with a light that is more of a 'line source'. On my 265, for example, I continue to use my pair of reefbreeders photon lights as a supplemental light source. I also ended up adding three 160s to the initial complement of three 360s. Tank looks great, but it took more effort than I'd expected.

They look sexy, make the tank shimmer like nothing else, and colors pop....

But growth and polyp extension is meh at best. I keep hearing you need to dial them in. No idea what that means. I'm following specific instructions from kessil.

If I were you I'd keep your T5 setup and add one kessil to get the look you want.

Ill eventually find a way to integrate T5's back into my setup.

59d35e0aaf27b472a376b7dd9141ef8e.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Nice setup btw. Would go for the kessil 360 but read somewhere the 160 has a 2 year warranty instead of 1.

Two years under kessil as main light, photon as supplement.

306bc6a69df1bcc389a5afca3a84356b_zpsydo2i3x6.jpg

Coloration is just a as good as under my prior MH and growth is fine. Growth is a funny thing. When you have frags, you want faster; when you have massive colonies, you want slower. :lol: though, admittedly, I'm not really into FFP.

I've been running Kessil's since May. Mostly SPS but some soft and LPS. Nothing seems to respond nearly as well as they did with the T5's. I'm looking into finding a way to run my Kessils and some T5's together.
That's my setup. 1 A360 and 2×24" T5 ATI bulbs over a 35 cube. Mostly softies but if I had to, I could build rock work that would definitely support SPS. A long as positioned correctly scape wise and within a few inches either way of the Kessil, I am sure would be excellent. People have their own theories and while lighting is indeed important, water chemistry and quality is paramount for long term success. Whatever works for you. Go with that

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

That's my setup. 1 A360 and 2×24" T5 ATI bulbs over a 35 cube. Mostly softies but if I had to, I could build rock work that would definitely support SPS. A long as positioned correctly scape wise and within a few inches either way of the Kessil, I am sure would be excellent. People have their own theories and while lighting is indeed important, water chemistry and quality is paramount for long term success. Whatever works for you. Go with that

Agreed on chemistry and quality...

Just seemed easier under T5. Things just grew with little effort, all other things being comparable.

Yep. Seen exquisite corals grown under all Kessil, all T5. Water is key

Yep. Seen exquisite corals grown under all Kessil, all T5. Water is key

I'm giving it the old college try... Been running them on a new setup since May. Clearly there's some aging in the system that needs to take place. Water chemistry feels like it's stabilizing. I've got 3 360w's on a 48 inch tank. More than enough. No shadowing as the 3 seem to be overkill. Time will tell....

I hope something clicks and everything takes off like it did in my old tank with T5's.

Back