Kessil AP 700 Owners Gather Here!

Hello all! Recently set up a 150 gallon reef tank. After a nightmare of an original set up (recon tank leaked ALL water out in 8 hrs overnight) destroying 2 floors in our home. 1 1/2 months later and a NEW tank along with a new LFS and a trip to an attorney, things are underway. Our avatar is a current pic of our tank. Been having water tested weekly, have a quarantine tank set up. Added 100 lbs of live rock, few fish and some corals, anemone, some zoas and a hammer coral. We went all out on lighting (we think) with a kessil ap700, 2 ice cap gyre power heads. looking forward to all the helpful info on here. :beer:

Looks all out too me! Great choices and good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How many ap700s should i run on a 300 6x3x2 tank? I was originally going to do 6 or 9 360we as i allrady have 6 of them, but then i thought of adding 2 or 3 ap700s down the middle and putting the 360wes along the outside of the tank.

Two questions how does the 360s and ap700 mix?

If i just went ap700 would 4 cover a 6x3x2 tank?

I was only going to do 3 with a few T5s, 4 would be plenty.

So I'm thinking of switching out my blue+ supplements for something else to run with my AP 700. Any suggestions?

I previously tried Coral+ and it gave out too much of a purple/pink hue and was too white. And the deeper blue from the kessil combined with the Coral+ gave a funky mix of a white/pink/purple hue. The Blue+ is just too blue and requires me to up the color temperature on the LED end and doesn't light things well on the edges.

I was thinking the next logical choice would be Aqua Blue Special since it has less of a red peak and would be on the white end compared to the Blue+

I'm open to other suggestions though. Especially Giesmann bulbs as I've had no experience with them.

My tank is 24x30x24 with two AP 700's running across the tank and the front and back could use some illumination. Due to the canopy, I can't place the lights front to back to alleviate that, so I turned to T5s to fill in those gaps in the front and back.

I think the Blue Plus from ATI best matches the color of the AP700 and is what I have, 2 of them. Why not the Blue Plus, what did you not like?

I think the Blue Plus from ATI best matches the color of the AP700 and is what I have, 2 of them. Why not the Blue Plus, what did you not like?

Too blue. I was a metal halide Radium on an M80 magnetic ballast kid. lol This LED generation is too much.

Kessil AP700 Newbie Question

Kessil AP700 Newbie Question

Newbie question; I connected my AP700 to an outlet on my Apex. It was programmed to turns on at 11am and off at 11pm. Will the Kessil revert to the light program I programmed into it, or will it revert to an "œoff" state when the outlet is switched on by the Apex in the morning at 11am? I have it over a 60ga cube, what height do you recommend to light a mixed reef w/minimal spillage of light in the room?

Thanks

Attachments

• 26DD65EC-5A8F-40F3-B977-C6438A354F44.jpg
    26DD65EC-5A8F-40F3-B977-C6438A354F44.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 0
It should go to the program. But why turn off the light at the power source?

You should just plug the light into a wall outlet and if you have to use the Energy Bar, put the outlet into an Always On state.

Couple months 100% now:

IMG_3962.jpg

How long is your photoperiod/duration for those at 100%??? I was sitting at 15" above tank for my 120 ( 2 x ap700) and at 82% right now for 8 hrs. Some acros are paler than others and it's not due to Low nutrients. Just wondering if I should lower duration or something.

Hey all.

I am pretty much decided on going with this fixture for my next build.

I see that Kessil says that two of these will cover my 48"x48" footprint, but wanted to just confirm with you all that you agree before I pull the trigger.

Thanks.

I have a 48x24x24 120 gallon and I have two without any t5 supplement and it's perfect coverage. It seems most of us that are using ap700 have raised up the fixture for better spread. You may need to raise it up to around 14-15 inches for more spread on that type of cube tank.

I have a 48x24x24 120 gallon and I have two without any t5 supplement and it's perfect coverage. It seems most of us that are using ap700 have raised up the fixture for better spread. You may need to raise it up to around 14-15 inches for more spread on that type of cube tank.

I am planning to hang 18" from the surface. The water depth is only 18", so I expect that'll be okay.

Thanks.

I’m starting up a new 180 60x24x25. I have two ap700 at 10” over the surface and am getting about 174 par at the sand bed. This tank will mainly be sps with a few lps at the sand bed. 13 hour photo period with a 4 hour peak at 100%. Been acclimating my corals as I’ve been adding them.

I don’t have any T5 supplementation however I do have two Hydra 26 lights I have been thinking about adding to supplement the middle section. Basically move the ap700s to the edge and fill in the middle with the hydras.

One thing I really wish for is a better app experience. I can not believe how poorly the app for these lights functions. I can never get these lights to stay in sync (clocks) nor stay connected (both of them) to the app. I fire up the app and after the long wait time to find the lights, the app 85% of the time only finds one.... frustrating from such a great hardware manufacture....

Back