Large amount of fish and Ich

zland1

So I came across a deal that I couldn't pass up but ended up with to many fish, I gambled and didn't qt them since there were so many all the fish came from an established tank and I had about ten already in mine, I planed to sell off a few to lesson the load before this happened, I have a 240g tank(the DT has corals and inverts) with 100g rubbermaid sump. The hippo(was pretty stressed out for the first week after the move but seems fine now) and one of the yellows are covered in ick a few others have a spot or two but that's about it all are still eating at this time.

What do you think the best way to treat this many would be?

If I went with TTM what size tank/tub do you think I could get away with or with this many fish do I just have to wait it out and hope that they fight it off enough to were its minimal, It seems to me at this point I will lose fish to stress from treatment or Ick no matter what choice I choose at this time.

I know I'm overstocked, I've read up on Ick well enough to know my options looking for advice on what to do now not on what I've already done wrong.

Thank you.
  1. yellow tang x2 (one in sump after the other keep attacking it paling on selling one fins healed)
  2. Powder brown tang
  3. blue hippo tang
  4. naso tang
  5. Bristletooth Tomini Tang
  6. Pair of clown fish x2 (one pair in sump was planing on selling the other pair)
  7. Sailfin tang
  8. Niger Trigger
  9. Blue throat Trigger
  10. Diamond goby
  11. algea blenny
  12. Six Line wrasse
  13. Purple Dottyback
  14. Foxface
  15. Hoeven's wrasse
  16. Cleaner wrasse
  17. Green Chromis x3
  18. Bicolor Angelfish
  19. Flame Angelfish
  20. Allen's Damselfish
  21. Three Stripe Damselfish x2 (In sump was planing on selling)
  22. Zebra Barred Dartfish

Remove as much LR you can and put it in another tank/or rubbermaid container with a powerhead and heater then hypo your 240

I've been reading that people have been hit or miss with hypo and it's one of the harder of the methods out there to pull off.

I hypoed my 240,just have a calibrated refractormeter and a ato and you should be good to go.I had 13 fish in my tank,and I went to 16 weeks of hypo and never seen ich in that tank again.

Pick up a large rubbermaid stock tank, sponge filters hooked up to maxi jets, canister filters would work to. Couple dozen assorted pvc fittings, transfer fish over along with a couple bottles of bio spira or dr. Tim's one and only (seachem stability, microbacter7, 2little fishes, and others that claim to contain de nitrifying bacteria will not colonize long term) begin copper treatment, hang a ammonia alert badge from a fishing line. Feed lightly and this will hold the fish for a few months.

Or remove All rock and substrate and copper the display. Throw out sand bed and replace with new sand after treatment.

Can also remove livestock and bleach the display, rock and all, drain, rinse, air dry and re start. Fish can be moved back in 30 days providing correct cycling and treatment protacals.

Treating a display often results in ineffective treatment due to absorbtion of medication and ammonia spikes.

I hypoed my 240,just have a calibrated refractormeter and a ato and you should be good to go.I had 13 fish in my tank,and I went to 16 weeks of hypo and never seen ich in that tank again.

Could you tell me a little more about how you did it Snakemanvet, did you leave sand in if so how much and the live rock?
how fast did you bring down the salinity?
did you have a big ammonia spike if so how did you control it?
did you use a skimmer or ad any other type of filter?

any other information that could be helpful.

Thanks

Mrscribbled said:
begin copper treatment
I've read that a few fish have problems with copper, one being flame angels and since hes one of my favorites don't want to risk it since hes showing no signs of ICH atm

If copper is used properly it is usually not an issue with dwarf angles. Chloroquine phosphate or quinine sulfate are two other options.

I left the sand and liverock in the tank.The way I lowered my salinity was taking 5 gallons out at a time and replace with ro/di.I would do 20 gallons a day to bring it down.After hypo treatment I take 5 gallons out and add 5 gallons a day at 1.0026 to bring up the salinity.I ran the skimmer as normal and I didn't have a ammonia spike.I did remove some rock which had corals on them and transferred them to a 75.If I have to ever do this with my current 240,I would treat with cp.I use it now in my qt tanks and has worked great.

Back