Large Tank Tough Decision Take A Look

~ChrisB~

So I only pop in here every few years these days. I am not currently running a reef tank. However I do have a very unique tank and have a touch decision to make. I want it out of here. However its dimensions create an issue, and Im not sure it is worth the trouble of removing it from the house. The tank originally belonged to Chicago Reptile House back when they had large frag tanks on display. It is 96x48x15 and 1.75" thick Acrylic. It has an over flow box in back that would need to be cut and rebuilt. The Acrylic itself would have to be cleaned well and buffed out if it was to be used for viewing. I used it for Frag farming and for keeping Gar. The issue I have is it's size and weight. I have it in my basement. I had to cut a hole in the house to move the tank in, and then replaced it with a large window. The tank took 6 of us to move into its current location. So here's the dilemma. Do I go through the massive effort of getting this thing out in one piece, huge job. Or do I commit sacrilege and chop it up and move it out in pieces. Not sure what value there is to this tank as it does need work, but it isn't something you see everyday either. Any thoughts from the community?

Thanks,
Chris

Hey, man! How are ya!

Well, the window you put in where the hole was... Is it removable? Meaning, did you not plan for this eventuality? If so, some frag farmer will want this. If not, I say chop away.

Hey, long time!

Yes the window can be removed so I won't have to do any major construction. The issue is lifting the tank 6 feet in the air, keeping it level, and putting it out through the window. This thing is HEAVY. I imagine Im going to route of cutting it up. Not really looking forward to doing that either, but what must be done, must be done. Its not a tank most people can accommodate, and I am as impatient as ever.

Thanks,
Chris

Maybe post the tank for sale. If you find a buyer willing to pay a reasonable price, go through the trouble of removing it. Otherwise chop it up.

Agree, with the others, but sadly it sounds like it's easier to remove in pieces :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back