Last week white threads coming out of SPS, this week it bleached

TankCla

SPSychology
Hi
Last week I noticed something white coming out of my SPS. I thought those are guts or feeding tentacles.
DSCF2542_zpsbbaf95b9.jpg

This week, that area is bleached.
DSCF2556_zpsd8fcb586.jpg

Any thoughts on this?

Don't see any. It is the only one like this.

Nothing new was added to the tank.

Actually, you can see in the middle of the picture a mark. In the first pic, you can see the white stuff sticking out, then in the second pic, a hole in the same spot.

Look very closely for AEFW. Highly suspicious. I would dip it.

Mo

I wouldn't rule pest out because anything is possible but also check other problems areas I.E. water quality. I've seen this before on some of my corals in the past and with my experience it wasn't AEFW but a sign of bad water quality. I would say still dip in Bayer for a little but also check your water quality. AEFW leave bite marks that will look like pale white spots all over the coral, they don't leave stringy white strings protruding out of the coral. These aren't feeders at all but its definitely a sign that the coral isn't happy so go easy on the dip and start testing and inspecting.

Bryan

Also, looking at the picture it seems you have algae issues so I would start with checking your phosphates and watching your other corals closely over the next few days. I've seen really high phosphates brown corals out at first then do this after long periods in the high range.

Bryan

Yeah, you're right. That is bryopsis. My PO3 and NO3 are undetectable, but the story is like this:
- 2 month ago, PO3 was 0.05 and NO3 0.5 - I am running nitraguard. Also I started to dose kalkwasser with ATO. Ca 440, alk 7
- 2 weeks ago I added vinegar in kalkwasse (15ml/1teaspoon) - suddenly NO3 and PO3 went to zero. Ca 420, alk 9, Mg (will buy a test tomorrow)

After I added vinegar in kalkwasser, I noticed more PE, and those white strings.

The only new addition is a seaslug to take care of bryopsis, which is turning white since NO3 and PO3 are down to zero. I have to start mg treatment. Reluctant though.

yeah, your parameters are swinging a bit much for my personal liking. I would spend the next week or so dialing everything in and testing daily. I wouldn't really bother with dipping as of now because it might stress the coral out even more and cause it to STN or RTN. I hope this helps and let us know the verdict down the line.

Bryan

Bleaching or necrosis?

Don't know, what's why I need your expertise.

This morning I noticed Nassarius eggs on the front glass, and the Kaudern Cardinals are spawning regularly. I believe my water is in good parameters.

Update on Acro's condition: I thing it is gaining a bit of color on the white part.

I don't believe that this issue is comming from your water quality. Typically WQ issues manifest as the whole colony bleaching. Necrosing (which looks to be the case here) is either from a parasite or stings from another coral colony. What leads me to think this is the case is how localized the wounds are.

Do you see any close colonies with sweeper cells?
Have you taken the colony out into a seperate container for close observation?
Have you observed at night to see if there are any predatory activities?

Do you see any close colonies with sweeper cells? - this is the only one
Have you taken the colony out into a seperate container for close observation?no
Have you observed at night to see if there are any predatory activities?I looked in the tank, once the lights are out, to see no predatory activities.

The only things I see in the night, are the tentacles of the small bristle stars, but they are no where near the affected areas.

Thanks again for your replies.

Can it be the only one affected? It is within inches of another 6 healthy acros.

Yes and no. aefw do seem to target specific acropora species over others, also just because an acro appears healthy doesn't mean it's free of aefw.

Back