Late to The Firmware Update Party/Help Needed

windyridge

Fish Mother
Hello,
I am a few years too late to the update party so the firmware update page doesn't even work anymore. I had the Apex Junior firmware last updated a few years ago. I saw the big change instructions, got scared away and never came back. It was no longer simple. So fast forward to today and obviously can't access anymore via the IP page probably because I changed routers and never forwarded the port and my apex has obviously not been communicating since. Could not set up port forwarding because apex isn't communicating anymore but green status light is on and it's still connected to my router. I have DNYDNS fixed forwarding and have a webcam already running successfully via that. Where do I start? :headwally:

Last edited:
You don't need updated firmware to get the apex working again. Since you changed your router it should just need the tcpip settings corrected.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

You need to get it working on your internal network before we can do anything external.

Makes sense except I can't do that. I had the router tech on the phone with me while I forwarded the port on my new router for my webcam but neither he nor I could forward the port. I should be able to access the apex anyway by typing in the IP so sounds like maybe the Apex is not working right. I did unplug it and plug it back in. Not sure what else I can do?

Not sure what your ip address is. Do you have the display for the apex jr.

You can use "angry IP scanner" to find the apex on the network if you don't have a display or you can go to the DHCP lease page on your router admin page to find the same info. Once you get the new ip address of the apex and verify that you can get to the native configuration page then you can port forward.

If the firmware was updated you wouldn't need to port forward as fusion takes care of that for you. Only issue is we cannot update firmware without network access

You've got several things going on here in your post, and most are not related...

Firmware updates have nothing to do with whether or not you're seeing your Apex within your home network. So let's ignore the firmware for now - you can worry about that later (if you want) after you get the Apex visible on your network.

Port Forwarding only comes into play if you're looking for your Apex *outside* your network - like if you're looking for it on your phone from Bermuda or your desktop at work. Port Forwarding doesn't need to be setup if you're just looking for the Apex within your home network.

Which leads you to your main problem... you changed routers, and the Apex now resides at a different IP address within your home network. Different routers use different IP address schemes. My first router setup used a 192.168.0.*** type of numbering range, while my latest setup uses 192.168.1.*** . Also, if you have DHCP turned 'on' within your Apex, that allows the router to assign the IP address to the Apex - and it may be different each time the router reboots.

So first thing first - get your Apex accessible within your home network. Aaronpentz has you on the right track for finding out your Apex IP address. Once you figure that out and can log into your Apex, that's 3/4 of the issue. If you really want to update firmware, you need to reestablish communication within your network first.

You never specified if your APEX jr is connected directly to your router using a network cable or if you have a 3rd party wireless to network adapter such as the Netgear N300. If you are using a wireless adapter you should take that out of the equation and wire directly to a port on the router. If you have the display module then you can find the IP address on the Setup menu item. Then open a web browser in you home directly to that IP address. If you router is running normally and the Apex is setup to use DHCP then the router will have alloted an ip adress on the same network as your PC.

Many thanks to Aaron for Team Viewing in and getting me going again. New router had assigned a new IP. Thanks to everyone for the help and suggestions. Is there an android app I can use now? Henry's seems to be gone and I can't use the Apex Beta app as all I get is the splash screen and cannot proceed.

It's different on all phones to add the apex to the legacy app. I have to press and hold on my back arrow while at the app splash screen to bring up the add apex dialogue.

Back