Leaning leather?

chitwnfish

I have a sarcophyton leather that has been in my tank for about a week.

It has not been open much since we got it but we upgraded the lights and it has opened up and is a really pretty rose color.

However, it's leaning terribly! It's attached to a very small piece of rock and is currently on the bottom of the tank which is crushed coral and sand.

Should I move it, with the small rock obviously, to the live rock it is next to now?

When the lights are out at night it falls back over and with the lights on it will straighten slightly.

Also, how frequently should I dose the iodine? The LFS said once a week. But I am not trusting a single one of them right now for other reason:mad:

Is there anything else I need to add right now to help it out?

I apologize for what I am sure are extremely basic questions! I have read too much lately and am completely confused about basically everything...

From what I understand there are small plate like structures in the leathers that help support the main body...top of the leather...when the leather is repositioned/change the current on they sometimes sag/lay over when those plates get out of line...takes awhile for them to realign themselves.....take this with a grain of salt cauz Im new to all this and simply passing along what I have been told...anyone else?

Lee

From what I understand there are small plate like structures in the leathers that help support the main body...top of the leather...when the leather is repositioned/change the current on they sometimes sag/lay over when those plates get out of line...takes awhile for them to realign themselves.....take this with a grain of salt cauz Im new to all this and simply passing along what I have been told...anyone else?

Lee

Thanks Lee!

I am concerned, and new so have no idea if I should be, that one of the fingers is touchy the bottom of the tank.

I am also irritated because the Koran keeps bumping it. The LFS owner swore up and down it was the only thing he could think of that was Koran safe. If this keeps up even I can tell this will be an issue.

Not to call out your lfs guy but I think he shot you a line...while all fish have the abilitly to mess with our corals some fish almost always will...from what I have read and learned locally...angels..are a no no...the only one that the wife and I would even think about throwing in is the Coral Beauty..but even then you have to watch them...it would suck to wake up one day and wonder what happen to such and such that cost us x amount of dollars.....

when I researched your Koran angel it said on several sites that they eat corals and are not coral safe...sorry you are having this experience....

Lee

Lee I have read the same material. However, being foolish seems to be my speciality of late.

I have read after I go into a LFS and before. And have had the same fate. I get in there and they(this is over multiple shops and the owners not just a kid who started that day)and they are beyond convinced they are right with all of their experience. I have nothing to dispute this so I end up with all kinds of things I do not need or simply cannot have.

There is going to be a big sale on craigslist (since I do not have enough posts for here)in the next couple of days of all of these things I cannot return--another issue with the LFS's around here--not just livestock but expensive equipment I have absolutely no use for now and is all brand new!

Sorry for the side rant--lots of frustration here!

What kind of water flow and lighting are you running? Also, what are your water parameters.

If you haven't already check your Alkalinity. Having a good high and stable Alkalinity is very helpful.

Also, what kind of temperature swings are you seeing in the tank? Is your Specific Gravity stable, or does it bounce around alot due to evaparation?

Also, all LFS's are not created equal, don't judge them all from the bad examples set by a few bad apples, a good LFS you trust is worth it's weight in gold.

Back