Leather Corals Not Happy

Hi everyone! I have had a saltwater setup for about 1.5 years. I recently changed my rock work back in January of this year and started to do a leather only tank (with one plating coral).

For some reason my leathers will only come out 2 days of the week full bloom and the other days be dormant with their polyps not extended. I also have a big toadstool (on the right) that has a section of it's polyps that haven't come out in a month and a half. Could this section be dead or is it possible to wait and find out if the polyps in this region ever come back out?

Alkilinity is at a 6.5 dKH stable
Temp- 78 degrees
Undetectable Nitrates

Capture.JPG

I haven’t kept leathers/toadstools in years.

Alk seems a bit low.

And, if memory serves, leathers like some nitrates. If so, that might be the issue.

Thanks for the feedback so far. Water flow is relatively mild. I have really never had dirty water. Maybe I should cut off my protein skimmer and see if that works?

I would look at increasing your alk to start.......and since it looks like a mostly softie tank, I would look at starting to dose iodine on a weekly basis....
Just my .02 cents

Alright, so I got my alkilinity slowly up to a 7.4 dKH. Should I continue going up and stabalize or try to maintain it at 7.4 and see how things react?

I am not testing for iodine. Was just going off of a recommendation I found online. I will test for iodine before I dose again to see where I am at. I keep my tank temperature at 78 degrees.

I only dose 2 cap fulls (I know, I know....) weekly, for a 120G.....but I also have quite a few softies......

Back