LED adjustment.. looks vs what's good for coral.

bfortune76

I have a nanobox reef led on my 10 gallon and I really like the way it looks. My LFS has AI prime lights and they look similar. Both have a very nice blue but not too blue tint. On my 75g display I have two OR t247 lights. I can duplicate the look by setting them to 100 percent blue and 10% white. Now I have been running these lights for 2 years now at 65 blue and 45 white getting SPS and LPS growth.

Couple questions. First, if I crank the whites way down and blue way up will corals get the spectrum they need for growth?

Second, if they can what's the best way to adjust the lights? Would it be safe to do up 10% blue down 10% white once a week until I reach 10/100 from 45/65?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

am interested in this post. I am running all blue now, one part of a broad solution to control algae and cyano.

Last edited:
I was having the same questions and asked by local guy how did he set up his tanks he told me he messed with the settings until he liked the way the corals looked. He also said to read the corals. I messed with my lighting and if it was too low my zoas would extend far if it was too bright the zoas wouldn't open all the way. Im using the radion LED lights on the ab+ setting for lps corals. I turned down my whites to get more fluorescing where i wanted and found 40% intensity with the lighting is what my tank loves. Ive seen so many settings and color settings from sunlight to blue with great results i think the key is getting enough par or intensity of your lights to the coral is the key factor

Here is the stats
UV 100%
Violet 100%
royal blue 100%
Blue 100%
Cool White 15%
Warm White 15%
Green 20%
Hyper Red 25%
Brightness at 40% for everything

Back