Leopard wrasse

ErosJN

Im curious to know how many people have kept leopard wrasse successfully and what are your experiences? In december, i picked up a leopard wrasse in ft lauderdale before driving back to Tampa... since then it has done fine. I even copper dosed in a bare tank for a month without issues... I'm now thinking of picking up a male for her but have read they are expert only fish. Wondering if i just got really lucky with mine or are they not as difficult as depicted?

Wrasse

Wrasse

I have had 2 and both ate anything I put in the tank. I believed they are easy as long as you get a healthy specimen. Make sure they are eating in the store as the issue is they don't ship well

Leopard wrasses die probably more than any other fish from collector to the home. I have an ornate and have had several leopard wrasses over the last 20 years. I have lost many of them eating at the store. Dead in the bag before you reach the house 20 minutes later. Fun stuff.

Thanks for the input. That is insane Rob! This is my first specimen and I picked it up around 4pm in fort lauderdale... kept it in the bag and headed back home around 6pm so i didn't arrive until almost midnight and this thing was completely fine... I'd hate to buy her a mate and have issues with em!

Ive had a Black Leopard for a about 3 years. Never a problem from day one. One of my tank moves, I realized he wasnt in the new tank. He was outside on my back porch, in the old aquarium, under the sand and about an inch of water in it. I scooped around in there, and sure enough, he popped out, tossed him in the new tank. lol

How do you know you have a female? It is ideal to get one as small as possible. Male's are bulls and can be very mean and most likely kill a new male put in the tank. I want to say they are born female and change to male at maturity.
Once established they are great fish and live a long while. Its the change that gets them or stress of moving or something. Emmett has had my ornate for 5 or 6 years probably and I had it probably 2 years before that.
It seems ornate and negrosensis are the easiest. Maleagris and bipartitus are the hardest. Yeah I know I butchered the names.

How do you know you have a female? It is ideal to get one as small as possible. Male's are bulls and can be very mean and most likely kill a new male put in the tank. I want to say they are born female and change to male at maturity.
Once established they are great fish and live a long while. Its the change that gets them or stress of moving or something. Emmett has had my ornate for 5 or 6 years probably and I had it probably 2 years before that.
It seems ornate and negrosensis are the easiest. Maleagris and bipartitus are the hardest. Yeah I know I butchered the names.

Leopard wrasses are sexually dimorphic so they are pretty easy to tell apart.

The other option for the OP is to buy another 2 females and let one of them eventually turn male.

May have got lucky, but I bought a Macropharyngodon bipartitus (blue star) and it ate like a pig from day one. Been fat and happy for about a year now. I want to get a second one, but hear conflicting stories... some say they do well in pairs, some say they are like anthias and it's 1 or 5+. Getting to the point where there are so many different fish that nothing looks cohesive; makes me think more pairs/group would look better.

Back