Let's see pics of your planted tanks

codium -?

codium -?

i ssee,.. it must just be the angle of the pic then.. if its the same as the others, then its the sawblade (serrata?)

codium is often referred to as "dead man's fingers" i think.. think branchy dark green tubular growths.. they can form a good mat over time..

i have the hardest trouble finding it here, and when i have it was loose and didn't attach before being picked to death by crabs ..and lost to some dark spot of the tank where im sure it died ..??

Some nice looking tanks here. here is mine:

salt.jpg

Awesome looking tank, ludwigia. Now of course we'll need close-ups and a definative listing of all the plants in there... ;)

Otherwise we'll just spam the thread with questions like these:
- Are the shorter, spaced-out blades in the front turtle grass (bulb plants with runners) or something else?
- How long has the tank been running?
- etc... :D

Gonna be bringing home a few new species tonight that I have yet been able to ID, so expect some new macro-shots late tonight or tomorrow morning in the forum for IDs as well.

Here are some close-ups. Yes that is turtlegrass on the bottom right, and the tank has been running for 2 years now.

saltleft.jpg
saltmiddle.jpg
saltright.jpg

That would be Galaxaura marginata. I was told it is a Caribbean species, but someone pointed out to me it is also found in the Pacific. Very slow grower, and tends to get algae covered.

Just another update (this time with pictures)

Tank is balancing out quite nicely (aside from a very crazy Royal Gramma) and have finished this round of battles with the cyano, with the shaving brush plant the only casualty.

full_tank_v3.jpg

Closer view of the LEFT SIDE --- Closer view of the RIGHT SIDE

On the left there are two different disk-shaped Caluerpa sp., a very prolific Halimeda sp., one tiny Halimeda sp. and a shorter, slower-growing C.prolifera sub-species.

On the right side are a thick-stranded Chaet., a thin-strand Chaet., a mat of unidentified "sea moss ball" which grows short and straight (seemingly without discernable roots), a very round-leafed Halimeda sp., zig-zag or saw-blade Caluerpa sp., a feather Caluerpa sp., 1 shaving brush sprout (next to dead parent plant), a red 'Valonia-type bush, one weird green algae and an unidentified 'red kelp' (looks like a thickened feather caluerpa, except it is bright red and grows from a central hub not one running root).

DensityMan:

With the thalahassia, what did you use for a substrate. Did you use a layered approach that many have used or do you find that the DSB alone provides enough nutrients for this demanding sp?

Tank looks great though. Cant wait to post pics of mine.

Thanks,

Sean

While I have heard many accounts of great growth through use of a 'plant' substrate, I have always just used the DSB for root-based nutrients. :D

Thats great to hear!! I have my fuge started with 2 species of Caluerpa above a DSB. I am going to wait for the sand bed to aquire some nutrients before I add the higher plants.

Thanks.

Sean

Those tanks look great! I wish my Yellow Tang wasn't a hervibore :D
I had a lot of strange algae and plant growth on my rocks but when I added this guy it all disappeared :(

Back