Lets Share Some Pictures

Here are my mangroves:
13246100_0316.jpg

Nothing special, but they're plants! ;)
-Will

I've never been able to grow those mangroves??

I was at another LFS yesterday and they had some of these red algae I have... it came in there as "red grape kelp"?? Does kelp grow out of rocks?

Chicki,
That is a typical responce from an LFS. I have had best luck with red algae under lower florescent lighting.

Will,
Those are really nice "typical" mangroves. Even the most common things in our hobby are not typical if I were to go out the front door and go look for them. Keep it up they look great!

Joe
:)

My Prolifera, the only thing that seems to grow besides the Bryopsis.
3502Prolifera-vi.jpg

Dragonlady:

I do not think that is any sort of Halymenia.

Do a search for Cryptonemia crenulata.
Keep in mind this is a guess based on (no offense) a very fuzzy photo.

hth.

horge

horge,
Thank you very much for the information. I admit that the photo is sort of fuzzy, but the original photo that I asked you about was not fuzzy at all. I actually broke off a piece of it and scanned it. My digital camera is relatively new, and it really needs a special lense to get better macro shots. It is probably easier to identify it seeing more of it though. Here is the closer one again.

Here is another closer picture of the same one, but a larger frag of it. BTW, I think that everyone here knows that macroalgaes are not true marine plants, but anyway...........

It is certainly a foliose Rhodophycae,or Rhodophyta. These are the red algae and they are definitely the LARGEST group out there, as well as probably being the oldest subdivision of protists. It really resembles Cryptomenia seminervis to me.

C. seminervis, along with many other Rhodophyta can be found here at this link.
http://ucjeps.berkeley.edu/constancea/83/ballantine_aponte/rhodophyta.html

and some more here
http://ucjeps.berkeley.edu/constancea/83/cf.html

What do you think?Does it look like the
Cryptomenia seminervis pictured?

I think that horge is right that the organism in question is probably a type of Cryptonemiales, and I thank him again for his help. :D

dragon lady,

macro algae are not true VASCULAR plants
but all algae are plants from the plant kingdom.

(with cyano maybe a little in the grey area, just as euglena are in the grey area from the protist's side because they have chloroplasts but act like an animal)

protists are not the kingdom that red algae comes from. All 6 major Phyla of algae are in the plant kingdom. (red = Rhodophyta)

just trying to clear up some taxonomic confusion here.

Protists are ANY of a taxonomic group and especially a kingdom (Protista) of unicellular, colonial, or multicellular organisms usually including the protozoans and MOST ALGAE

Red Algae
The red algae (Rhodophytes, Rhodophyceae) are nearly all multicellular with a complex organization. There are no flagella at any stage in the life cycle.

that's a quote right out of your link. Seriously, if you can see that red macroalgae in front of you it is not a Protist. Don't want to get into a continuing arguement here, but IMO you are misinterpereting this just a bit. Algae are plants with a few exceptions. Protists is a kingdom added later after certain 1 celled or simple colonial 1 celled animals kept exhibiting both plantlike and animallike characteristics or even less than either other Kingdom's characteristics. It was a catch-all that took in a few representatives from many other animal/plant kingdom groups. But stuff like yeasts, bacteria and viruses is what the Protist Kingdom was really created for.

And after seeing many posts with a title "Algae or Plants" I have a feeling people may be getting a little off the path because algae are plants. So within keeping things simple and straightforward:

ALgae and vascular plants (and the several Phyla in between) are all PLANTS and you will keep out of most conflicts maintaining that distinction.

Please quote me the reference that says "MOST algae are protists", or are you forgetting the "pelagic one-celled or simple colony" part of the description? I just think you are causing some confusion just repeating portions of certain texts somewhat out of context IMO, but hey prove me wrong so we know the facts ultimately. Just in all my Bio classes(including microbiology) and all the texts and references I have accumulated, algae are mostly plants.

I know a whole gang of botanists that could eat all of us for lunch on this topic, maybe an email asking about the definitive current taxanomic heirarchy WRT algae and where can we get it will help.

Frick-n-Frags said:
Red Algae
.....Please quote me the reference that says "MOST algae are protists", or are you forgetting the "pelagic one-celled or simple colony" part of the description? ......

Sometimes it is very interesting to look up words in the dictionary that you already think you know from memorization. Look up the word protist here:

http://www.m-w.com/home.htm

Is this definition wrong?

"....Algae are not really plants. They belong in a separate category called protists. ...."

http://mbgnet.mobot.org/salt/plants/

Last edited:
I like to think of Protista as a "grab bag."

If it helps any, Caulerpa is considered a protist.

Yeast, however, is actually a fungus.

Kevin

proÃ"šÃ‚·tist (prô'tĭst)
n.
Any of the eukaryotic, unicellular organisms of the former kingdom Protista, which includes protozoans, slime molds, and certain algae. The protists now belong to the kingdom Protoctista, a new classification in most modern taxonomic systems.

[From New Latin Prôtista, former kingdom name, from Greek prôtista, neuter pl. of prôtistos, the very first.]

proÃ"šÃ‚·tis'tan (-tĭs'tən) adj. & n.
pro'tisÃ"šÃ‚·tol'oÃ"šÃ‚·gy (prô'tĭ-stŏl'ə-jç) n.

CHECK out www.atomica.com. you 'alt'-click on any word and the intenet does its magic. Most insanely useful thing ever.

To respond to the taxonomic arguement going on.

All taxonomy has pretty much been re-structured in the last couple of years. There is no five kingdom system generally accepted anymore. Algae do not belong to the kingdom plantae, they are actually grouped into several different kingdoms: Alveolata (dinoflagellates), Stramenopila (brown algae, golden algae and diatoms) Rhodophyta (red algae) and finally Chlorophyta (green algae). Some biologists do place the green algae in the kingdom plantae though. All the above kingdoms belong to the domain eukarya.

The term protist is basically a catch-all phrase that though still used, does not technically have much taxonomic meaning anymore. The old protist kingdom has been divided into about 11-13 different kingdoms (depending on who you ask)

Maybe that will help clear things up.

Back