Let's talk about Alkalinity, Calcium and Magnesium in an SPS Tank

I would recheck that the Ca is that low, if so yeah dose and then check it 24 hours after the dose. then check again 24 hours after that to get an idea of what your daily consumption is and then take it from there.

I would recheck that the Ca is that low, if so yeah dose and then check it 24 hours after the dose. then check again 24 hours after that to get an idea of what your daily consumption is and then take it from there.

Will do thank you. One more question Alk at 6 is low or ok?

HI, looks like this thread is still active and I have a question about ALK consumption.
I have a 400L tank and maintain my parameters:
Ca 440ppm
ALK 8.1dKH
Mg 1400ppm

I find that my daily consumption of all parameters is:
Ca 16ppm/day
ALK 1.2dkH/day
Mg 3ppm/day

I feel like ALK consumption is out of proportion so can anyone give his consumption so far?
Best is to get the numbers in ppm, as ml does not compare correctly.

TIA!

1meq/l =50ppm =2.8dkh.
Calcium carbonate precipitant ( the primary ingredient for skeletal mass for calcifying organisms) is 20ppm calcium to 50ppm/2.8 dkh carbonate alkalinity. So; 1.2 dkh alkalinity contains about 21 ppm carbonate alk and would bind with about 9 ppm calcium as biotic and/or abiotic preciptation of calcium carbonate occurs in the aqaurium .
You note 16ppm calcium which is likely within the range of testing noise or a part of a two two part mix that is off a bit in terms of the balanced proportions.

1meq/l =50ppm =2.8dkh.
Calcium carbonate precipitant ( the primary ingredient for skeletal mass for calcifying organisms) is 20ppm calcium to 50ppm/2.8 dkh carbonate alkalinity. So; 1.2 dkh alkalinity contains about 21 ppm carbonate alk and would bind with about 9 ppm calcium as biotic and/or abiotic preciptation of calcium carbonate occurs in the aqaurium .
You note 16ppm calcium which is likely within the range of testing noise or a part of a two two part mix that is off a bit in terms of the balanced proportions.

Thank you Tom. Good information.
I dose all Red Sea parts Alk, Ca, Mg.
Will do some additional testing to check the accuracy, knowing now about the linear relation between Alk and Ca.

You are welcome .

Other things to note: salt mix brands vary in alk and calcium proportions; the nitrogen cycle consumes some alk adding some back from nitrate reduced by anaerobic activity ; source water other than ro/di may throw it off ; heterotrophic bacteria, particularly if organic carbon dosing is in use,also use alk.

The main thing IMO is to keep the alk steady and constant. Variations in the calcium level don't matter much as long as the total stays over 380ppm.

I have realized that corailine can use a bit more mag than the others as well. I recently had an explosion of it in my tank and when I tested my alk was 10, calcium was 520 or so and mag was 960. Been adding a cup a few times a day to slowly slowly get it back up.

Corey

Dosing Ca /Alk in a fix ratio for each and every tank in my eyes is nothing but nonsense

There are Several reasons why one tank "consumes" more Ca, the next one more Alk

If you dose in a fix ratio, you will end up in a scenario where one of the two values are not ok. This is reality and you will find tons of messages alone in this forum.

I think the failure in thinking is that people suggesting this try to "add something that is close to seawater"
But
We'd better "add the correct amounts" so that our "tanks water will become like natural seawater"
That's a big difference !

In reality whatever amounts of Ca/Alk (and also Mg and other Elements) corals are consuming, this is nothing because there is so much water around and flowing with perfect and stable parameters

Totally different in our tanks, especially if stuffed with SPS. What this guys consume in order to grow as we want them to, we might need to add huge amounts of Ca/Alk steadily.
Supplementing this is kind of feeding SPS. Not doing this is letting corals suffer.
Adding it in a fixed ratio of Ca/Alk if one of the values is in a "not ok range" is also letting them suffer.

The same is for other traces (K, iodine, Stro). Different to Ca/Alk and Mg WE can't measure ..... so can't control dosing of this elements (yet).
And this is the miracle of waterchanges because they add and or correct these elements.
Ver good in my eyes also: Ca / Alk / Mg recipes that bring traces with the dosing.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Dosing Ca /Alk in a fix ratio for each and every tank in my eyes is nothing but nonsense

There are Several reasons why one tank "consumes" more Ca, the next one more Alk

If you dose in a fix ratio, you will end up in a scenario where one of the two values are not ok. This is reality and you will find tons of messages alone in this forum.

I think the failure in thinking is that people suggesting this try to "add something that is close to seawater"
But
We'd better "add the correct amounts" so that our "tanks water will become like natural seawater"
That's a big difference !

In reality whatever amounts of Ca/Alk (and also Mg and other Elements) corals are consuming, this is nothing because there is so much water around and flowing with perfect and stable parameters

Totally different in our tanks, especially if stuffed with SPS. What this guys consume in order to grow as we want them to, we might need to add huge amounts of Ca/Alk steadily.
Supplementing this is kind of feeding SPS. Not doing this is letting corals suffer.
Adding it in a fixed ratio of Ca/Alk if one of the values is in a "not ok range" is also letting them suffer.

The same is for other traces (K, iodine, Stro). Different to Ca/Alk and Mg WE can't measure ..... so can't control dosing of this elements (yet).
And this is the miracle of waterchanges because they add and or correct these elements.
Ver good in my eyes also: Ca / Alk / Mg recipes that bring traces with the dosing.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Yes, this is especially true when systems have strong algal/macro filters because these try to get carbon from dissolved CO2 in the water. When CO2 can't dissolve into the water fast enough, alk starts being consumed in order to get carbon from it.

The worse case for this is an enclosed algae/chaeto reactor that has no contact with air; it has no choice but to consume alk.

Month later and I got my ALK in order. Holding steady at 8.6-8.9 for 3 weeks almost. But I can't get my mag up, it's now up to 1100 but 10 days ago it was almost 1200. I out new media in my calcium reactor as well as remag to help boost it. However, I am not sure I out enough in.
Any thoughts on what could consume mag this much? Should I use mag flake to raise it quicker then use the remag in the calcium reactor to help hold it steady?

Corey

Any water changes? Mg gets consumer pretty slowly, but a 100 point drop could be seen when trying to get the tank balanced. I would raise the Mg to where you want it to be, then try and see if your method is keeping it steady.

Yeah I'm doing water changes every 3 weeks now (new concept as opposed to 4-5). I'm new in the SPS world and needed less in the LPS. I'm adding mag flake to my water change now to help raise it. Then will see if my calcium reactor can maintain it.

Corey

I bet your Mg is low in the salt you are using for your water changes. The best thing to do is setup to do a water change and measure the Mg, Ca and alk of the new freshly mixed water. Most times you will have to adjust the mix to meet what you are trying to maintain in your tank. Once you start doing that you should see less swings in your parameters.

Even with no water changes, I used to never consume much mag. Got tired of testing unchanging numbers. Just seemed to stay up, except every year or so it would suddenly be low when I remembered to test again.

I keep my alk between 8-9 dkh, Ca right around 450 and MG 1350 and i have been getting great results with these numbers on my display. I only use ME CORAL Alk, Cal, and there MAG.. It;s a local company out of Fort Lauderdale, FL. Great products..

TANK INFO
120 Mixed Reef
Ecotech M1 pump
Skimz 163 DC Montzer Series skimmer
Custom sump / Refuge
2 Maxspect Gyre XF130's Pumps
2 AI Hydra TwentySix HD LED Fixtures
Celestial C35W Maxspect Refuge Spotlight
Aqua UV Ultraviolet Sterilizer 25w
BRS Dual Media reactor
Eshoops IV Master & Slave Doser
Tunze 3155 Auto Top Off