Let's talk about corals to stock in a non-photosynthetic aquarium

IMG_5879-1.jpg

Menella sp.

Common names: Menella Gorgonian, Golden Sea Rod
Note: coral also comes in blue and brown variations Blue Sea Rod

Type of Coral: Gorgonian

Care Level: Intermediate

Reproduction: most likely sexual, can be fragged

Coral Placement/Orientation: Insensitive to light. Coral in not finicky in placement, does well in laminar flow or turbulent flow, can be glued or epoxied vertically or horizontally

Feeding: Gorgonians are suspension feeders that filter small food particles from the water column: zooplankton, eggs/larvae, possibly bacterioplankton and detritus. Food should be no larger than frozen cyclop-eeze, with the majority being much smaller such as rotifers. Polyps will retract without constant food in the water.

Additional tips or words of wisdom This large polyp species of gorgonian is one of the more easier species of non-photosynthetic gorgonians to keep. They are still difficult relative to most photosynthetic corals and should be attempted once Beginner non-photosynthetic corals have been able to be sustained in the aquarium for a period of time. You should feed small amounts as often as possible. A continuous feeding system (dry or liquid) will yield the best results as the polyps should stay open almost 24/7. If the polyps stay closed most of the time, either you don't have enough flow, enough food in the water or your water quality is too poor. This coral will grow vertically from the tips and "encrust" from the base if it is healthy. It will grow in the direction of the strongest flow and can handle literally being blasted with it. The tissue gets algae and detritus build up easily and should be kept clean (high flow will help a lot).
Note: Coral can "wax over" and shed. While this process is occurring, polyps will not expand. The process can be assisted by using a turkey baster to gently remove the "waxed over" coating. Coral will have a "new" appearance after this takes place.

IMG_5066.jpg

Astrogorgia sp.

Common names: Astrogorgia Sea Fan, Astro Sea Fan

Type of Coral: Gorgonian

Care Level: Advanced

Reproduction: most likely sexual, can be fragged

Coral Placement/Orientation: Insensitive to light. Coral in not finicky in placement, does well in laminar flow or turbulent flow, can be glued or epoxied vertically or horizontally

Feeding: Gorgonians are suspension feeders that filter small food particles from the water column: zooplankton, eggs/larvae, possibly bacterioplankton and detritus. Food should be no larger than frozen cyclop-eeze, with the majority being much smaller such as rotifers. Polyps will retract without constant food in the water.

Additional tips or words of wisdom This non-photosynthetic gorgonian is one of the more difficult species to keep. Should be attempted once Intermediate non-photosynthetic gorgonians have been able to be sustained in the aquarium for a period of time. You should feed small amounts as often as possible. A continuous feeding system (dry or liquid) will yield the best results as the polyps should stay open almost 24/7. If the polyps stay closed most of the time, either you don't have enough flow, enough food in the water or your water quality is too poor. This coral will grow vertically from the tips and "encrust" from the base if it is healthy. It will grow in the direction of the strongest flow and can handle literally being blasted with it. The tissue gets algae and detritus build up easily and should be kept clean (high flow will help a lot).
Note: Coral can "wax over" and shed. While this process is occurring, polyps will not expand. The process can be assisted by using a turkey baster to gently remove the "waxed over" coating. Coral will have a "new" appearance after this takes place.

:thumbsup:
Great additions to the thread Mike !
Also congratulations ,you just got the first NPS sticky !
:dance:
David

Ptilosarcus gurneyi

Orange-sea-pen.jpg

Common Name: Sea Pen

Type of coral: Octocorals, soft coral, Sea whip family.

Care: Advanced

Coral Placement: Bottom, no light requirements, place in substrate-root like structure.

Feeding:Filter feeder. Phytoplakton, zooplakton, ect.

Additional info: sea pens are colonial animals with multiple polyps ,a sea pen's polyps are specialized to specific functions. Normally found in 10+ m deep waters, low flow areas.Their primary predators are nudibranchs and sea stars, some of which feed exclusively on sea pens. When touched, sea pens emit a bright greenish light; this is known as bioluminescence.

Wow never seen one of those in an aquarium before!

I've sold plenty while in wholesale and attempted a couple myself. They perished, probably starved to death. I do know one LFS that had "success" with them, if you can call 6 months a success.

Now those were tropical species and not the temperate Ptilosarcus gurneyi posted above (ranges from Alaska to Baja). Not sure if a temperate species has a place in this forum though :)

Can you PM me where I might be able to find one? It's not something I'm ready to attempt at this time but maybe in a few months once my bigger tank is up and running for a while.

Get ready to have a DEEP sand bed in your next tank then. I will PM you my local shop gets them in once in a while or if I ask them :)

Mike

Thanks for the link. I'll have to read it more thoroughly later. If I can set up a section in my tank with an 8" sandbed I might try it. Looks like they need lots of flow, which is good.

You all are doing a really excellent job to educate and learn about azoo corals. Great job and great thread to all you guys!

Help with spider sponge

Help with spider sponge

Has anyone ever posted info on caring for spider sponges... i had a really nice one that did well untill cyano choked it out, I have a few frags and the original 3 inch long stub... i cut the entire branches off... it was about 13 inches tall with several branches. I have the cyano under control now that my ATS has kicked in full force... if anyone could point me towards more info i would really appreciate \
thanks
brandon

IMG_4006.jpg

• Haliclona sp.
  • Blue Sponge
  • Sponge
  • Care Level: Intermediate
  • Not sure how it reproduces but it can be fragged easily. Frags of the sponge readily attaches themselves to new locations within a few days.
  • Coral Placement/Orientation: Anywhere with medium to strong flow. Direct light does not seem to bother the sponge.
  • Feeding: filter feeder. I don't directly feed ths sponge, but I do continuously drip a variety of plankton foods.
  • Notes: This sponge adds great color to any tank, and seems to be fairly hardy. Julian Sprung's Invertebrates reference guide says they live in direct sunlight in the wild. In my tank, I have some frags that are in shaded areas that do fine. A few small pieces also get exposed to air during water changes and don't seem to mind.

Question: Sponges are a different family of animals but I seem to see a lot of cross referencing and discussion here, as well as naming? I am confused as to why sponges get brought up in discussion as if they are coral?

AFAIK, that blue Haliclona sponge requires very strong lighting. There may be exceptions (such as yours) but it should be noted that many of these will not survive in a non-photo tank with dim lighting. I only stress this because sponges release toxins when they die.

It is my understanding that the blue sponge is very toxic to fish. I had one and it really blossomed and was easy to care for. Very pretty (but deadly...)

Back