Let's talk about corals to stock in a non-photosynthetic aquarium

Common name: Red Chili Coral
Scientific Name: Alcyonium palmatus
Care Level: Beginner (Even though some would disagree with me)
Disposition: Semi-aggressive
Placement in tank: Low (and they prefer to be upside down, hanging from a ledge)
Light Level: Non Photosynthetic
Water Flow: Medium Intermittent
Diet: Filter Feeder (I have never target fed mine, but some people recommend it)
Range: Jakarta, Bali
Supplements: Strontium, Iodine

This was his previous location when I first got it, but apparently had too much light, flow or not enough food and started to die.
%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

This is the coral when I thought it was dead.
%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

After about 3 months of no polyp extension (Honestly I had forgot about this coral and everything), I did a major aquascape change and tank cleanup and he ended up in the back of the tank against the glass. I never got the urge to throw it away, even though it looked dead, because he still had some red color to it.

This is it now in his new location. He loves it. It has deeper red and the polyps are normally out all night. They were starting to go back in on this picture because it was morning.

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

Not sure if stars count, but this one would thrive in an nps tank with a continuous feeding system.

giantbasketstar5.jpg

"¢Scientific Name- Astrophyton Muricatum
"¢Common Name- Giant Basket Star
"¢Type of Organism- Basket Star
"¢Care Level- Intermediate-Advanced
"¢Reproduction- Spawning
"¢Placement/Orientation- Finds its own spot
"¢Feeding- Numerous feedings, especially at night when the star is open, a continuous feeding system is recommended, feeds on tiny to medium organic matter and organisms
"¢Sensitive to water chemistry and changes in water chemistry (pH, specific gravity, salinity, o2 levels, etc.), intolerant of copper based medications/additives

I'll jump in with this:

aanon007r.jpg

Family Name:Cirrhipathes spiralis

Common name: Wire coral, Spiral coral

Type Of Coral: Black Coral

Reproduction: Cuttings, the rest is unknown

Coral Placement: Prefers lots of flow, doesn't care about lighting. Cuttings can be epoxied to a structure piece.

Feeding: Eats just about anything. Seems to love cyclops and mysis.

Additional: Appears to be a great beginner coral. It is relatively new to the aquarium world so not a lot of information out there. I feed mine 3 to 4 times a week directly and it is always grabbing anything that floats by. In nature they are found in deep waters. They grow everywhere conditions are right from Florida to the indo pacific. The indo ones seem to have the best color. Ranging from purples to blues to yellow to a combination of all of the above. Used and sort after in Asian cultures and for jewelry. The calcium structure left behind in death is a hard black skeleton. It can be polished to a shinny black stone.

Does anyone know any vendor that carrys this particular NPS? Ive looked online but having no luck.

Bummer, sure would love to get one, really different and the color variants so nice. From such deep locations over 160 meters i can see why its not available.

Very few of the filter feeders are available any more. They are as hard to maintain as they are beautiful. I tried them for a good while, you really got to want it bad to be worth it. I did run a small NPS cold water tank for over 3 years. Other than the temperature part that was about the easiest tank ever to keep. Biggest problem is availability of livestock, unless you live near a cold water cost and collect your own.

Back