Leveling Tank After Fill

Rovert

Premium Member
Is it safe to level a tank after it's been filled? Everything was level on installation when it was just the tank and stand, but after adding sand and water my tank is a bit tilted to the right. Not a huge amount, but noticeable, on the left: 1 13/16" on the right; 2 2/16" across the 6' length. I know 1/4" doesn't sound like a lot, but it really irks me. The stand has 5 leveling feet in front as depicted below. Can you guys recommend a safe method of squaring this up that won't put the whole shootin' match at risk?

PR2-1800-B1.jpg

Is the stand made of MDF? If so I don't think I would try any adjustments with it full of water.

Half the water out, keep it though.
Maybe a Moving strap underneath.
Take some weight off with the strap, increase the length of the feet on one end, you don’t have far to go.
Safer to drain.

Last edited:
I’d drain at least half way, but if it’s a cade, I thought those came with self leveling mats?

Half the water out, keep it though.
Maybe a Moving strap underneath.
Take some weight off with the strap, increase the length of the feet on one end, you don’t have far to go.
Safer to drain.
Not sure draining is an option or would make a huge difference with 200# of sand and 170 gallons of water in there on top of the 500# tank and 375# stand. Fortunately I placed the tank and stand on top of 3/4" marine grade plywood with that orange plastic 'waffle' style underlayment used for installing tiles, so it's possible I might do better to just shim the one corner a bit.
I’d drain at least half way, but if it’s a cade, I thought those came with self leveling mats?
I don't think 'self-leveling' means what it sounds like. My understanding is that the foam is just to absorb any 'microscopic' high spots like a tiny pebble or something that might cause a high pressure spot on the tank itself.
What settled? The floor? Will it continue to move more over time?
Hard to say. Interestingly enough, the 'lower' side (which is to say the side where the water is higher) is on the left where the sump sits. So I wonder if this isn't just the stand settling in.

If you plan to do it, you need to be able to lift it and make small adjustments while not damaging your stand or floor. So, a pry bar or two with appropriate padding and help, or you could rent a Johnson bar. I was a mover when I was a teen in the summers and these things allow you to get under stuff and move/lift them with great control.
image.jpeg

UPDATE: Heard back from CADE customer service who informs me that the feet can be used to level the tank after fill using a wrench, as long as the corners are equally supported and a caution about the rotation of the feet causing possible marring to the floor due to weight, not a concern in my case - see plywood base in photo below. For those who wonder why their tanks cost that kind of money, here's a good reason!

Attachments

• 20220608_082402.jpg
    20220608_082402.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 16
UPDATE: Heard back from CADE customer service who informs me that the feet can be used to level the tank after fill using a wrench, as long as the corners are equally supported and a caution about the rotation of the feet causing possible marring to the floor due to weight, not a concern in my case - see plywood base in photo below. For those who wonder why their tanks cost that kind of money, here's a good reason!
I wondered about that. Nice touch.

Back