LF opinions on skimmer

Vorog

I am upgrading tanks (75 gallon, I'll have a small bioload at first. But I'm sure in the future I'll get more fish) and looking at a few skimmer options. I have a bubble magus now and it does well. I was thinking about getting a bigger one but I'm not too far off from getting something of better quality. Just seeing what you guys think? And if you have one of these why you like it. Thanks

Vertex omega 150
Reef life support R6i
Skimz sm161, or sm 143
Eshopps s-150
Swc-160
Or a reef octopus 152-s

I have an eshopps and I really like it but it's very finicky with the water level. If it fluctuates at all you'll have to adjust the skimmer.

I have an eshopps and I really like it but it's very finicky with the water level. If it fluctuates at all you'll have to adjust the skimmer.

Which model do you have? And I will be placing mine in a sump so water level will not change

The psk line of eshopp skimmers were pretty finicky to get dialed in but once they were I never had to mess with mine. I've heard really awesome things about the S line. I think I'd go with either the s-150 or the skimz.

I have heard mixed reviews on the skimz some say they are great some say the dc pump is cheap. I was hoping for someone that has one tell me what they think. The eshopps I know are decent. I have heard good things about the reef octopus too

I've had no issues with my Coral Box D500. You may want to check them out. If you are on a budget, like me, Coral Box skimmers are a pretty good option for the money.

I've had no issues with my Coral Box D500. You may want to check them out. If you are on a budget, like me, Coral Box skimmers are a pretty good option for the money.

Not sure if I want a DC skimmer, I have seen a lot of bad reviews on them. But I will check them out

Let me say this, I really dont think you can "overskim" if crap is in the water that is skimmable, then the skimmer will do what its designed to do. If little is there, then the skimmer will still run but not produce much. Why this is an issue is beyond me. Even if the skimmer isn't removing much then its simply aerating the water for you, bring in outside air feed and bring up your PH a few tenths of a point for free.
As far as what skimmer my vote is a recirculating skimmer with 2 pumps, yes you run double to pumps but by doing so you give yourself independent adjustments (if you plumb it that way) although I never slow down the amount of air my skimmer takes in occasionally I will slow the feed pump (new epoxy/crazy glue) or for whatever other reason the skimmer may decide to go turbo. My experience with my Reef Octopus dwnb 150 has been outstanding, it does sit in a constant water level and in 2 years just runs without adjustment. Even if the return pump stops the water level rises about 4 to 5 inches in the sump the skimmer is oblivious to the level change. The only thing I dislike about this is the recirculating pump wont auto start on a power interruption "most" of the time. I solved that by putting it on a small battery backup. Its a known issue with the exact pump I have.
Again, I simply don't think you should worry about over skimming, seems like an oxymoron to me.

Which model do you have? And I will be placing mine in a sump so water level will not change

I have an older model snow cone skimmer, can't remeber the exact model. If the water level changed less than an inch for me I had to totally redial in the skimmer.

Have you considered a Bubble Magus Curve skimmer? I got a Curve 7 a few months ago and I am very happy with it.

Yes I have one now, it's good but I have to mess with it a lot to get it right. I get a wet skim never anything dark.

I ran mine in a bucket with vinegar and water for 2 days to break it in. I haven't had to make any adjustments at all so far. It skims dark for me.

I've had mine for a little over a year and it's a light tea color. I ran mine too n vinegar too

Let me say this, I really dont think you can "overskim" if crap is in the water that is skimmable, then the skimmer will do what its designed to do. If little is there, then the skimmer will still run but not produce much. Why this is an issue is beyond me. Even if the skimmer isn't removing much then its simply aerating the water for you, bring in outside air feed and bring up your PH a few tenths of a point for free.

I was looking at a aquamaxx q2. It has awesome reviews. And if I did feed heavy I would have no doubts it can handle it. I was just curious what others have and why they like them as well. I do plan to upgrade tanks in the future so I want something that's going to last a while

BK 160 or 180, be once be done. May be pricy but you will never return to anything else after a BK.

I keep going back and forth with skimmers. The i tech 200 sounds amazing from everything I have read about them. I have narrowed it down to these.

Aquamaxx q2

Reef Octopus 152-s

seaside aquatics es7 / Eshopps s-150

Rogers i-tech 200

Back