LF: Small Clam (Derasa or Maxima) but small <2"

Webmanny

I was thinking of getting a small clam to see how it does with my custom LEDs and the Triton Method, but I don't want to break the bank. I saw one that looked very pale and almost pastel in color at my LFS, but they wanted $50 for it.

Do you guys have or know of anyone locally that has one small one, maybe blue or gold color?

By the way, how is your clam doing? I only want one because I saw yours and it looked awesome and I think it will do great in my ULM tank.

Be wary of small clams unless you intend to feed heavily. At that size, they are typically not yet photosynthetic. ORA produces tons of awesome blue maximas and sells them that small. They are large enough to last through the most generous of guarantees, so the big online vendors sell the majority of them to keep the project funded and public "satisfied". I have killed every single one at that size, even in systems that are heavily fed with strong planktonic populations.

I do agree, try to find one a bit bigger, you're chances of it surviving should be higher at a bit bigger size. I must've got lucky, I bought mine around 2" and only fed the tank phyto twice.

I did not know that piece. Thank you for the advice. I will study this one better before jumping into buying one. I'd hate to kill one just to try them out.

Be wary of small clams unless you intend to feed heavily. At that size, they are typically not yet photosynthetic. ORA produces tons of awesome blue maximas and sells them that small. They are large enough to last through the most generous of guarantees, so the big online vendors sell the majority of them to keep the project funded and public "satisfied". I have killed every single one at that size, even in systems that are heavily fed with strong planktonic populations.

I do agree, try to find one a bit bigger, you're chances of it surviving should be higher at a bit bigger size. I must've got lucky, I bought mine around 2" and only fed the tank phyto twice.

Good point. I will wait and do much more research on this.

Back