Light acclamation: how do i know if im doing it right

Hi guys,

I switched my phillips coral care Gen1 V1 for a radion xr15 G6 pro and i want to know if im doing the acclamation properly; my tiny monti frag on the bottom has been bleached, but the rest of the coral seem to do fine. Its just very 'dark' compared to my previous lamp. is it better to have too little or too much light during this period and what are the signs to look for that its going either way?

There's no good answer due to the variable and adaptable photobiology coral species have. But having too little light is almost always better than too much light. Ideally lighting conditions similar to what a coral grew under is best but now that you've changed the light settings you'll want to procede with slowly raising the intensity and/or duration to the final settings. Randomly making changes with the settings at this point is likely to domore harm than good. Keep in mind the causes of bleaching is a very complex subject and the actual cause your monti bleached may have more to due with prior events conditions than anything specific to your system.

As you've noticed what is dull to our eyes isn't necessarily dull. I suspect the Phillips light has more diodes in the green spectrums which look bright to humans. Leds require measuring with a PAR meter to know for sure. Outside of that, comparing to other users with the same fixture could help provide a guide. As @Timfish said too little light is a safer route.

Back