Lighting Advice for switching bulbs (SPS tank)

gig

So I typically swap out my bulbs every 6-7 months, I run the following on my 180 SPS tank

4 72" VHO's
4 36" T5's (2 side by side)

So I decided to switch from this config (front to back)

UVL 454
ATI blue +
UVL Aquasun
ATI purple +
UVL 454
UVL 454

the aquasun is my daylight bulb and really overpowers all the other bulbs, making the tank too "white", but not bad

so today I got my new bulbs and switched to

UVL 454
ATI purple +
UVL 454
ATI coral +
UVL 454
UVL 454

so added in another 454, (I really like this bulb, it's like a blue +) and swapped out the blue + with a coral + that is more white than blue. that becomes my daylight full spectrum bulb.

so the tank is much bluer, which I'll get used to, but should I acclimate the bulbs?

maybe run them a couple hours less per day for a week, then increase an hour until I am back to my normal schedule?

Thanks!

You should definitely acclimate them. I have a ATI 60'' fixture and the last time I changed bulbs, I changed one every five days until complete and reduced my photo period by 4 hours. I still ended up with a few burnt tips on some of my SPS. Next time I will do the same plus raise the fixture 4 to 6 inches or a place a piece of black screen over the tank as extra protection. That's my experience. I hope it helps.

Frankie, they have the same color, I stole this from a Grimm Reefer post on the lighting forum

Blue+ - 460 C 473 R 517 (no reflector on the T5)

454 - 597 C 500 R 468 (internal reflector on the VHO)

so he didn't have a reflector reading, but once you add a reflector to the T5's, it "spanks" the VHO with the internal reflector

keep in mind, I've been using 3 454's + and aquasun, the aquasun has more par than the 454, so I've changed that out. however, I went from a blue + t5 to a coral + t5, which has more par than the blue plus.

Yeah I am using a Coral plus and a Purple Plus with my MH combo I should check out the 454- I always hear good things about it...

Back